New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Diary Boards > New Diaries

Notices

Old 14-06-2018, 06:27
Don't feed the animal

Default Re: Marc's Diary 2.0

Hey Koh,

There are many articles you can find around the net that supports the theory of reduced metabolism, but you sort of take it as granted, with a pinch of salt.

But it was this story that caught my attention -the Biggest Loser contestants of 2009 all of whom lost a huge amount of weight only to put it back on again. This is research is unique, given the TV hype and media attention, they had a top physiologist Dr Kevin Hall measured and tracked all the KPIs of each contestant for 6 years after the event finale. Their metabolisms didn't revert to 'normal' even after 6 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/h...ight-loss.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ht-is-back-up/

This applies to all diets where you have rapid weight loss over a sustained period (months or more), the only way to escape this phenomenon is opting for Gastric Bypass surgery. Not many people would go down that route though.

My thoughts...don't try to lose too much too soon and try to reduce weight steadily over time. Not ideal for me, as I know Cohens can get me great results that will make me very happy very fast. But as I said, I'll only end up back where I started.

So the question I'm asking myself is how could Cohens be adapted to reduce weight more slowly. I have tried other diets and I can't stick to them, lose ANY weight over the long term and they offer too many opportunities to fail. I need a regimen like Cohens, but maybe up the portions? Maybe start from refeed? I don't know.

Lots for me to think about as I've now had my mindset turned and not sure I can do 100% EP, now I have this knowledge/insight.

Having said that, if I had advice for any first timers, I'd say stick to Cohens 100% - do the program, experience the amazing results for yourself and then seek help from a doctor to maintain. Cohen's does a great job of getting you to your target weight, but after that I think the tools are not enough to keep you there.

Started Cohen's Lifestyle on Monday 9th March 2009. - Lost 22.4Kg
Starting again Sunday 3rd June 2018.

Old 14-06-2018, 06:39
Don't feed the animal

You might be wondering "So what are you doing now?"

Well, I'm not 100% Cohens but not following any other diet either. I am watching my carbs though - limiting myself to 30g per day, hoping to keep off the 7kg I already lost in my first week, until I can work our what I'm going to do.

Started Cohen's Lifestyle on Monday 9th March 2009. - Lost 22.4Kg
Starting again Sunday 3rd June 2018.

Old 14-06-2018, 09:21
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the links. I haven't read them yet (just logged in...) but I'll find the time later today.

Quote:
I need a regimen like Cohens, but maybe up the portions? Maybe start from refeed?
Depending on how you've been travelling since your first go at Cohens, perhaps your words above ARE the way to go. Have you seen this topic before? :-
http://newyouforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6408

I'd say "Take from that whatever seems to fit with you." For some who want to build their strength after completing Cohens, the call is to add an exercise regime. That requires extra food, which then requires the balancing thereof.... From what I read, exercising to build muscle mass also helps to increase your metabolism, which should lead to being able to eat more without piling weight back on.
Take special note of Shell's words early in that topic too - the "mixing up of food amounts" worked really well for her. And, she had to eat MORE to keep her weight down too.
It is all a balance - learning all of the fine tunings that suit YOU seems to be what Maintenance is all about.
Rock on Marc,

Koh

PS And one I stumbled over in a diary is worth some thought - re eating, metabolism, storing fat, etc - go here:-
http://newyouforum.com/forum/showthr...050#post304050

Last edited by Kohinoor; 14-06-2018 at 13:09.
Old 25-06-2018, 13:49
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Hi Marc
Just a quick note as I am short of time but have just hopped back onto the forum since being away for the past month. All I can say is that Cohen's worked for me and still does since 2011. I too wanted to be slim for my 50th - better later than never. I have struggled since maintenance but that is due to exercise and finding the right balance between exercise and food. I don't worry too much what the scales says as fat turns into muscle which weighs heavier. Anyway just wanted to say that it is possible to maintain okay - I think i reached goal in May 2011 and we are now in 2018 and while I am not the size 6 -8, I am more a 8 - 10 (NZ sizing) so happy with that. I have found having exercise goals work for me. cheers WB

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves"
Sir Ed Hillary

Tags
diary , marc