New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > The NEW YOU!!! Maintenance and Life After Cohens

Notices

Old 24-10-2008, 14:46
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Talking Calling Maintainers - your views on how/if you are keeping the weight off

Hi All,

I just want to gather some info and clear up some pretty 'normal' (what I think is normal stuff about life post Cohens. Things like

1. Your Cohens Goal
2. How long ago did you reach it?
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens?
4. How far off goal are you now?
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain?
6. Your thoughts on maintaining...

I will start

1. 60 kilos - Cohens goal
2. Reached in May 2008
3. Regained up to 10 kilos
4. I usually sit anywhere between 4 - 7 kilos over my Cohens Goal
5. So far no...
6. Thoughts not as panicked and I have taken this last 6 months to really accept my new body...this has taken a lot of work as it didn't feel like mine. Maybe now I am ready emotionally to get back to my Cohens goal
Mind~body~spirit approach is my winning formula

Goal 1: Under 80kg (done 4.5.13) Goal 2 - 75kg, Goal 3 Under 70kg, Goal 4 - normal BMI 65.8kg!! Goal 4 - final goal 65 - 62kg and start refeed

Old 24-10-2008, 16:17
I am here for good

Good idea Hexi.

1. Your Cohens Goal 61kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? May 2008
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 4-5 kg
4. How far off goal are you now? under 200g
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? Yes
6. Your thoughts on maintaining... It was very overwhelming for the first few months, but once I found out what works for me, I am much more relaxed and I enjoy eating now without all the worry of am I doing it "right". I also don't feel deprived of anything which I think is a huge mental hurdle I have overcome.

Shell

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!
Old 24-10-2008, 16:33
I am here for good

1. Your Cohens Goal 64kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? July 2008
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 2 kg
4. How far off goal are you now? 600g
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? Yes - though it seems to take me longer than 2 days and I need to be much stricter with myself than most others ( ie. plan foods only during reset and nothing else).
6. Your thoughts on maintaining... Its a bit tricky getting your head around not counting calories, and watching food types and also figuring how exercise works for you - BUT - life is a learning curve and it's so much better than being 50kg overweight! I enjoy food more, eat slower, savour more and don't crave the fatty, salty, sugary stuff I used to crave.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't you're right! " - Henry Ford

Last edited by ConnieK..; 24-10-2008 at 16:35.
Old 24-10-2008, 17:08
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

1. Your Cohens Goal : 69kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? June 2008
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 1/2 kg
4. How far off goal are you now? -1kg (68kg)
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? Didn't gain any weight.
6. Your thoughts on maintaining... Don't blow it out as soon as you finish refeed. You have a long time left to life so it's not essential that you try everything all at once. If we have the patience to make it through to the end of refeed then there is no reason not to tiptoe into real life again. No real need to rush things. I've maintained a 1.5kg range from 67.7 to 69.2 since finishing the program. I go strictly by feel, I haven't weighed anything, counted any calories or used any other type of "program" except basic sensible eating and offsetting those things that may be bad with a reduction in snacks & fruits which I have kept up to a high level (3 or more a day).

Balance. Works for me.

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple; 24-10-2008 at 17:12.
Old 24-10-2008, 20:21
On my way - To a new me.

Hi everyone, I have found this thread really interesting, I hope lots more "Maintainers" get on here too!!

Old 26-10-2008, 21:09

Wow thanks everyone...very honest posts and lots of insight and difference experiences.

Keep them coming! I think it demystifies the 'unknown' world of what happens in maintenance and what is pretty normal

Goal 1: Under 80kg (done 4.5.13) Goal 2 - 75kg, Goal 3 Under 70kg, Goal 4 - normal BMI 65.8kg!! Goal 4 - final goal 65 - 62kg and start refeed

Old 25-07-2009, 10:48
I am here for good

Default Re: Calling Maintainers - your views on how/if you are keeping the weight off

hey guys,

Some of us are still here hanging around, posting in our maintenance diaries as well

I am still maintaining fine, gained 2.4kg in my first year of maintenance, just got that and a couple more off, back to maintaining again ...

It can work ... I promise!

Connie

"If you think you can, or you think you can't you're right! " - Henry Ford

Old 27-10-2008, 18:04
On my way - To a new me.

Hi Hexi - my experience:
1. Your Cohens Goal 54-57kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? April 2008 (55kg)
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 5kg
4. How far off goal are you now? Am at my highest!! fighting to get back in control.
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? I can lose it quite quickly when I go straight back onto original plan for a few days...however getting harder and harder! Am still trying to find 'my balance'. Like to know my boundaries!!
6. Your thoughts on maintaining... Tis all in the mind!

Flash12
Old 29-10-2008, 15:44

Thanks Flash

Old 29-10-2008, 17:19
I am here for good

Hi Hexi and everyone, yes this is a very realistic account of different strokes for different folks. I didnt complete refeed properly - i will this time - so let that be an alarm bell for anyone planning such stupidity as me! My answers are :

1. Your Cohens Goal : 52-55kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? 1 Nov 2008 and maintained until a holiday at easter so 49-52kg for 6 months!
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 10.2kg
4. How far off goal are you now? 8.5kg
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? Clearly not but i had emotional issues to deal with, so the program is marvellous and as i didnt do refeed properly, i still have an opportunity to succeed and keep it all off!
6. Your thoughts on maintaining... For me, i researched and tried many other programs as i was sick of cohens food and i just kept gaining approx 1.5kg every month, now i know cohens is the only program that works for me so i am infinitely, exstatically, delighted, i paid my $700+ and i have the program right here when i need it! Dr Cohen rocks my world! Pandora

Old 29-10-2008, 17:53
I am here for good

Hi Pandora,
Did you mean November 2007?

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!
Old 29-10-2008, 23:27
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I'm just starting out, so no long term experience. However, maybe I have something new to contribute.

1. Your Cohens Goal 65 kgs
2. How long ago did you reach it? 1 week
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 1.6 kgs from my refeed end weight, 2 kgs from my low, but that was in four days immediately after finishing.
4. How far off goal are you now? 1.4 kgs
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? Not yet

I ate and drank more than I planned over several days of wedding celebrations. I don't believe that I should have put on more than maybe a couple of hundred grams, plus a couple of kilos of fluid, but I haven't yet returned to goal range, so it may be that I have added new fat. I had no difficulty going straight back to Cohen food after the weekend. I was afraid that I might lose control and keep eating, starting out with all the celebratory food. However, I'm still feeling totally in control. I'm wondering if I will need to watch my weight a lot more closely than most, but still feel confident I can do this if it is necessary.

I'm thinking that for everyone there is some learning to be done as soon as we go onto maintenance. It's a matter of trying out the new foods and new situations and seeing what the effect is. I wish I had taken my scales with me for the weekend so I could have seen the daily effect of each of the celebratory meals. I will now weigh daily and watch carefully what happens when I stick with Cohen food, and what happens when I have a large meal. It is a bit scary, wondering if you will be able to maintain. I'm not scared any more because I'm sure I can, even if it means eating much more moderately then I had expected.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Last edited by Annabelle Joy; 03-11-2008 at 20:45.
Old 25-07-2009, 07:31
Almost at beginning of ne

Default Re: Calling Maintainers - your views on how/if you are keeping the weight off

I think this is a great thread. Hoping to see more recent comments

Started Cohens 10/07/09
Mini Goals:Break through 100kg 23/07/09 2)95kg 17/08/09 90kg10/09/09 87kg01/10/09 85kg 11/10/09
80kg 15/11/09 75k 18/01/10 70kg 17/03/10 9)65 kg
Old 25-07-2009, 07:36
Feeling more at home

Loving this thread!!! Maintainers please keep posting as it is VERY inspiring for all of us who are still on the thick of the plan. I have read, heard and seen SO MANY people fail to maintain so reading your reviews and how your managing if just wonderful!

We all appreciate the time it takes to write something so thanks again! I know when I maintain I will be posting here
xxx

100% Cohens Challenge DEVIATION FREE: x7

FIRST GOAL: 100kg's DONE SECOND GOAL: 90kg's DONE THIRD GOAL: 80kg's DONE FOURTH GOAL: 69kg's
Old 02-08-2009, 16:08
Part of the Furniture

1. Your Cohens Goal - 59 - 62
2. How long ago did you reach it? 4 months
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 2.8kg above top goal weight
4. What was your refeed starting weight? 61.6kg
5. What was your maintenance start weight? 61.4kg
6. How far off goal are you now? 1.5kg away from top goal
7. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? yes but not for more than a few days at a time, i seem to easily maintain at about the 63kg mark.. still aiming to get down to about 60kg
8. Your thoughts on maintaining... weigh in almost everyday! write down how u feel. keep up exercise. dont feel guilty. guilt is the starting emotion for a downfall. pick yourself up and start again. if u have to start again every single day its better than continuing to fall off the wagon and never picking yourself up. love yourself and do what is best for you, even if it means being "selfish" or anti social in other's eyes. this is your body and your life and you need to be happy!!

philosophy: where there is hope there can be faith. where there is faith miracles can occur.

"...the world won't end if you don't eat the cheesecake..."
Geneen Roth

Last edited by hope_ful; 02-08-2009 at 16:11.
Old 24-02-2015, 13:01
On my way - To a new me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope_ful View Post
1. Your Cohens Goal - 59 - 62
2. How long ago did you reach it? 4 months
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 2.8kg above top goal weight
4. What was your refeed starting weight? 61.6kg
5. What was your maintenance start weight? 61.4kg
6. How far off goal are you now? 1.5kg away from top goal
7. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? yes but not for more than a few days at a time, i seem to easily maintain at about the 63kg mark.. still aiming to get down to about 60kg
8. Your thoughts on maintaining... weigh in almost everyday! write down how u feel. keep up exercise. dont feel guilty. guilt is the starting emotion for a downfall. pick yourself up and start again. if u have to start again every single day its better than continuing to fall off the wagon and never picking yourself up. love yourself and do what is best for you, even if it means being "selfish" or anti social in other's eyes. this is your body and your life and you need to be happy!!
Bump

Awesome post - A Thank You from :-
Old 23-08-2009, 17:51
I'm new, please be nice to me.

1. Your Cohens Goal - 59kgs - lost 18kgs
2. How long ago did you reach it? approx 10 weeks
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohens? 1-2kgs...
4. How far off goal are you now? back on track....
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain? yes, just went back on the strict diet for a week...always knocks off afew kilos

6. Your thoughts on maintaining...still have problems with realising that I am no longer the heavier person....its as if my mind hasn't adjusted to the new weight....have to remind myself that I am no longer overweight, only confirmed when I am looking in mirror or wearing new size 8-10 clothes...abit strange, but very happy with results.

I have 2 days off a week and eat anything but always sensible within reason. Drink wine etc, the remaining 5 days I stick to a very strict and sensible eating plan....keeps everything balanced. Drinks loads of water still.
Old 25-08-2009, 17:02
Searching for ME again...

I'm still rather new to maintenance but will have a go at this...

1. Your Cohens Goal - 55-58kg but my current weight is around 52.5kg
2. How long ago did you reach it? Approx 5 weeks.
3. What is the most you have put on since finishing Cohen's? I have stayed between 52-53kg and experience normal, everyday fluctuations.
4. How far off goal are you now? A bit below, but I am at my 'comfy' weight and use to sit here quite happily a few years ago.
5. Were you successful in getting back to your Cohens goal after weight gain?
Personally, during the program and since there after, my appetite has decreased dramatically and so have my cravings for sweets which were like a constant thorn in my side before beginning Cohen's. I find that this has made it easier for me to tiptoe into maintenance. I have been very careful and rather then trying loads of new foods at once, I might try a couple of different ones each day or so. I have had a few restaurant meals, a couple of deserts & slices of cake and also was away for a few days down South not long ago where I ate some undesireable hotel food. Through all of this my weight may have gone up a few hundred grams but has, so far, stayed within the kilo. I am amazed at how this program has worked for me and feel a sense of empowerment. I try to keep occassional treats for when I'm out for dinner. For example, I would rather have a nice dessert at a restaurant then bring home a block of chocolate and know that I have these kinds of things lying around the house. I think this makes for a 'healthy' relationship with the not-so-healthy treats. I have carried on eating 3 moderate protein & vege meals a day and find that usually I am eating not because I am even hungry, but because I now know my body NEEDS the right fuel mix 3 times a day and how bad it is to skip meals - a nasty habbit I once had. I eat a mountain of veges at lunch and dinner and my family actually laughs at how big the pile is before I cook them and they shrink! I am amazed at how I can eat pretty generous servings of the right food and still be slim, where as I used to eat eat broccoli and pretty much put on weight because of how poorly my hormones were functioning. All in all, I eat Cohen's friendly 90% of the time and have tried to keep my good habbits/routine that I developed whilst on the program - why? Because it works. I actually really enjoy Cohen's food. Whether this is a mental thing or physical thing or maybe a bit of both I'm not sure but I love the 'guilt free' feeling of sticking to mainly Cohen's foods. I don't weigh my food anymore and I have continued to eat my crackers - but I now enjoy spreading butter on them! Moderate amounts of fat have not really affected me so far. If i've gone out for coffee and cake, for example, in the afternoon (which isnt often) I will eat a Cohen's dinner but of maintenance type portions and it seems to balance out. I have not yet gone back to exercise and still feel as if I am not in any hurry. Prior to Cohen's I was very much overdoing it to counteract the effects of PCOS so now I feel I will have to re-establish a good relationship with exercise and find something I enjoy for well being, rather then going like a psycho in the gym and sweating like a rapist!! My biggest problem so far on maintenance has been my internal dialogue. I find that if I try something sweet or eat something that I know isnt good, I beat myself up - even if it just a tiny bit. I need to learn that I am not going to turn into that girl that was 15kg heavier OVERNIGHT!! I find that I am very hard on myself when I really shouldnt be. I have been very controlled with the bits and pieces of sweets that I have had and I guess that is something to be proud of in a way. The biggest challenge I face from here on out is to be a little kinder to myself.

Well sorry if that was a tad lengthy everyone, but thats my piece for now.

xx

Awesome post - Thank You from :-
Old 25-08-2009, 20:34
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

Hayley, it sounds to me like you are a winner. You have realized and defeated your demons. You know what makes your body tick and what is good and bad and you are living the programme as it was designed to be. Total empowerment! Fantastic. Congratulations.

Old 25-08-2009, 20:50
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Hayley,

Hmm, yep, SMS said it for me too !! Well done, you - you've learned SO much !!

Quote:
I find that I am very hard on myself when I really shouldnt be. I have been very controlled with the bits and pieces of sweets that I have had and I guess that is something to be proud of in a way.
Hehe - YOU said it for me right there.... Hayley, you have done yourself SO much good, just be sure you give yourself the rightful credit, and cut yourself some slack when things go a little awry. You are maintaining - and it strikes me that you are doing a damn good job of it. Maintenance will always require "learning" until you arrive at the place where "you now understand all you need to know to retain this new gift - your trim body".

Keep on tip-toeing into maintenance - you are doing yourself SO many favours by taking it slow and considered.

Give yourself a rap, Hayley - you rock

Hugs,

Koh

Tags
calling , how or if , keeping , maintainers , views , weight