New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Support Boards > Health and Medical issues

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 14:26
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary
Default Just what is in our food?

Eating Cohen's teaches us the benefits of eating food prepared only from fresh, natural ingredients. I have become much more aware of the effects of processing on foods since reading Cyndi O'Meara's Changing Habits Changing Lives in which she advocates eating only foods that are prepared from scratch, as our grandparents used to do. Dr Cohen has the same advice for maintenance.

One thing that struck me in Cyndi's book was that raw sugar, the first stage of refining of the refined sugars, has lime (the stuff they use in cement, not the citrus), canola oil and icing sugar added to the processing. None of these are listed in the ingredients on the packet. To see what else is put into sugar, look here: http://www.greenlivingtips.com/artic...raw-sugar.html.

About four weeks ago I made some butter. The recipe said it keeps about two weeks. Yesterday I found what was left of it in the fridge. It was growing mold, a couple of varieties, although not a lot on it yet. It didn't smell too good either. I also had some bought butter that would have been a month older (I'm not using a lot of butter these days). Ingredients on that are cream and water (mine was made only from cream, plus whatever they forgot to add to the ingredients). Apart from being a darker yellow on the outside, the bought butter seems to be as good as when I bought it. So, when they are both made from cream, no preservatives in the bought butter, why does bought butter last much longer? Why does it go yellow on the outside, when the only colour change on my homemade butter was from the mold? I checked out one site on the manufacture of butter, here: http://www.dairyforall.com/buttermanufacture.php. I was reading it out to DH, kept stumbling over pronunciation of things I've never heard of before.

I find it quite scary that almost anything we buy that's been processed likely has a whole lot of chemicals added that we know nothing about. Even fresh meat and vegetables may have chemicals related to feed or to keep pests away.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 10-02-2009, 15:00
On my way - To a new me.

this is something I have been very concious of lately to try and control my excema. It is so hard to eat chemical free. It seems the only way to do it is to grow your own veggies and raise chickens!! I think in this day and age it is impossible to eat completely chemical free food but we can minimise it by trying to make things from scratch.

It is very scary what is in food. I think you would find even with making your own butter there would be something in cream as well. Food modification is like an iceberg. You can see the tip but how much is underneath?

Even when I finally finish cohens I will be eating like this as I feel so much better. Let us know what else you find AJ I find this so interesting.

Good Luck

100 % deviation Challenge YEAH!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 19:47
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

Ronky, this was in an email newsletter I just received from Cyndi O'Meara (www.changinghabits.com.au).

For instance strawberry flavour contains the following ingredients;
amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl acetate, ethyl amyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyle heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerate, heliotropin, hydroyphrenyl-2-butanone (10 percent solution in alcohol) alpha ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyle anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, rose, rum ether, ϒ-undecalactone, vanillin and solvent.

Mmm sounds yummy!!!!!
Most flavours usually arise from a mixture of many different chemicals but often a single compound supplies the dominant aroma such as; ethyl-2-methyl butyrate smells like an apple (it could also be in your apple shampoo), methyl-2-peridylketone makes something taste like popcorn, ethyle-3-hydroxybutanoate is marshmellow, amyl acetate is banana. Hexanol gives the smell of freshly cut grass and 3-methylbutanoic acid is the smell of body odour, obviously the smells and flavours are endless. Just a note here smell is a very important part of taste!
The difference between a natural flavour and an artificial flavour is not much; they are both made by the same chemical plants, places that few would consider to be from nature. As Eric Schlosser says calling these flavours natural requires a flexible attitude toward the English language and a fair amount of irony.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 12-02-2009, 10:15
On my way - To a new me.

WOW AJ isnt it just scary what is in our food. People wonder why so many kids are on drugs for ADD etc with this many chemicals running through their little bodies its no wonder they cant control their behaviour. I remember when my little sisters were young (I have a big family with big age gaps) one couldnt have red things the other couldnt have green. We were a house of fruit cup cordial.

Very interesting. But it goes to show why you feel so good so quickly going on to an eating plan such as this or simply just removing processed food from your diet.

Thanks for sharing this AJ Im going to give it to my partner so he stops eating rubbish!! HA HA as if he will stop when Im not around him its anything goes.

100 % deviation Challenge YEAH!!!

Old 25-03-2009, 15:44
On my way - To a new me.

Exclamation Junk Chemicals!!

And I will try to be more aware of that when I go to maintenance and beyond!!!!!

Ms. Jiggles
Old 26-03-2009, 09:15
Part of the Furniture

Wow, thanks for the info, AJ!

That IS very scary how many chemicals are in our food. Here I thought that raw sugar was good for you and I had NO idea that brown sugar was simply white sugar with Molasses added to it! I always thought that when I was buying raw sugar and the plain butter (opposed to flora, etc) that I was being healthier. Guess not...

It would be interesting to see what other common things we use on a daily basis that are slowly poisoning our bodies...no wonder so many of us get cancer!

Old 10-11-2009, 23:49
Feeling more at home

Default Re: Just what is in our food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle Joy View Post
I find it quite scary that almost anything we buy that's been processed likely has a whole lot of chemicals added that we know nothing about. Even fresh meat and vegetables may have chemicals related to feed or to keep pests away.

AJ
Hi AJ

I'm only fairly new here but thought this was an interesting topic. I think you've hit the nail on the head here - chemicals in food are confusing as we don't know much about them.

If I told you that most orange juice has 3-Keto-L-gulofuranlactone added to stop it oxidising that sounds pretty bad. Even 'A300' on the label doesn't sound that great. But if I were to tell you that it had "added vitamin C (ascorbic acid)" it would sound much better, even though all of these terms mean the same thing.

For the commercial butter, if it's going yellow on the outside where it is in contact with air and not growing mould I would say it has added potassium sorbate or sorbic acid (it should have E202 or E200 on the label somewhere if this is the case). This is used to stop mould & yeast growth, so you may also find it in dried meat, yoghurt, cosmetics, etc. The problem with margarine is if they contain trans-fats (you have to label for these in the US but not in Australia) - I would rather have a preservative than these!

I don't know so much about fresh meat, but dodgy preserved meat products contain a really nasty chemical - nitrites. You can usually pick meats high in these by that unnatural pink colour, eg cheap, nasty hot dogs or pressed sandwich meats.

Fruit and veg (especially grapes and pre-packed lettuce, cut veg) will probably have sulfur dioxide used on them. This will mainly cause a problem if you are asthmatic, but the good news is rinsing your fruit & veg will remove most of it. This chemical is also allowed to be used, in limited amounts, whilst growing organic produce.

The lime is used in all sugar production (in your link they have just referred to it as calcium hydroxide lower down). It does two jobs: it makes the sugar non-acidic (the hydroxide part which is just part of a water molecule) and it settles out the dirt (the calcium bit reacted with something else). This means it is not actually in finished sugar, hence you don't have to label for it. It is also used for clarifying water so can be used to prepare the water for soft drinks, cordials, beers, etc.

I've never heard of canola oil added to sugar - I would have thought you would need to label for this like they do on dried sultanas.

Usually, I find it hard to get a definitive answer whether things are good, bad, sustainable. I think the fact that you are aware, looking for info and trying to do the right things for you are the most important things - many people don't even think about what they are eating.

I really hope that helps a bit.

Cheers, MW

PS By the way, I believe in eating whole foods too - that's why I haven't been having anything with artificial sweetener whilst I'm on Cohen's.

Last edited by hellomilkyway; 10-11-2009 at 23:54.
Old 18-03-2010, 20:31
It's up to ME!

Read "The Rubbish on our Plates" by Fabien Perucca and Gerard Pouradier!!! ITs an international best seller It is printed in Great Britain by Beddles Ltd, Giuldford & Kiings Lynn $32.95. Sure does open your eyes. Our small town bookshop got it in for my quite easily.

1st Goal 80 kg done (18-11-09)
2nd Goal 70kg done ( 28-01-10)
3rd Goal 60kg done (19-4-10) Now the REAL battle is to maintain. Its NEVER over!! Still battling!

Take-2 Goal: 62-65 kilos
Start: 74.4 kilos 1-1-2013
Finish: 63 kilos 5-6-2013

Take-3 Goal: 65 kilos
Start: 82 kilos 5-6-2014
FINISH ???
Old 19-03-2010, 08:02
On my way - To a new me.

Yes, the rubbish on our plates!!! Thank heavens Cohens diet is based around natural foods and not factory manufactured "shakes". How does food made from gm products and chemical additives that then sits on shelves for months nourish a living breathing human body? Very badly, I think and then chronic bad health results.

The Ethics of the Food we Eat by Peter Singer is another eye opener.

Cheers
BSplit
Old 01-05-2010, 21:58
On my way - To a new me.

This is an extremely informative thread - I'm pretty determined now that even after I've finished my plan, I'll be avoiding processed foods. I've previously not given it all that much thought.

Hellomilkyway, you sound particularly knowledgeable on the topic - was it just an interest or do you have a career that involves chemical knowledge?

BB

Always do what you are afraid to do - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

1 - 105kg DONE!, 2 - 95kg DONE!, 3 - halfway! DONE, 4 - 80s girl DONE!, 5 - 70s girl, 6 - goal + refeed!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18
On my way - To a new me.

GREAT thread AJ! I have two step-sons whose mother believes that KFC, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster [insert any other 'fast food' take away here] is a normal, natural ans wost of all REGULAR part of life!!! The poor boys got a rude shock when they met me - they had never had pasta, sausages or even pizza (at the age of 7 - no pizza???).

Some may know by my other thread that I'm a chef in training. I believe it the slow food movement and, before I had my car accident, had an organic garden. Divine Husband used to get off by running outside and grabbing what-ever we needed for dinner. Now my step-sons will eat pizza, but only home made (dough and all), and they will try ANYTHING... don't always like but at least they try. And, although still processed, when their mother says they can have take-away they now ask for Subway over the others.

There are so many 'numbers' involved with food. By that I mean preservatives, addtives etc. One of my teachers actually tried a 'number free' diet - not as easy as it looks.

KISS principle all the way. It's the approach I take when catering and it really is wonderful to see peoples eyes light up (suddently, they switch on to what they've been missing).

I'm MANGOIFICENT and WATERWISE!!! x 4 x2
Old 18-06-2011, 10:39
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Just a "bump" as I highlight this thread for someone....

Interesting (if scarey) reading....

Koh
Old 19-06-2011, 21:25
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Thanks Koh for the bump - good things to remember for the progam and maintenance - if you're lacking motivation, remembering how bad processed food is will have you running to Dr C friendly foods! I cook nearly 100% from scratch, read labels (great info on all the confusing numbers) and don't eat take away often, in part due to the expense, and if it's cheaper takeaway, you have to wonder why(what nasty rubbish they've made it with). Even if ppl ate fresh and from scratch, I'm sure we'd see a lot less overweight/obese ppl. A great read
Lesley

x 7 x1 Never, never never give up There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. MAINTENANCE 10/10/10
Old 23-06-2011, 16:47
On my way - To a new me.

Wow this thread is a real eye opener! Ive already decided to purchase one of the books from the website. I always avoid buying processed foods etc and go for the organic stuff but sometimes it is so expensive. I wish I had a backyard to have my own little garden to grow all my tomatoes etc but unfortunately, I live in an apartment! Before I got married, mum used to grow everything in the back yard and cook everything from scratch ALWAYS except for bread and other basics. My grandparents till this day always even make their own yoghurt in fact my great grand parents who live in the mountain villages of Turkey are still alive till this day at almost 100yrs of age. They are completely healthy, my great grandpa even rides a bike and it's all because of the organic foods they eat and clean air they live in! Food plays such a big role in our lives. My mum always tells me how every day after school she'd have real fresh potato scallops wrapped in newspaper and a paddlepop ice-cream, still she never put on weight. Now-a-days every kid, adult, teen and baby has to be extremely cautious of everything they put in their mouths! This is extremely sad, however on the other hand we have to understand the increase in population, the demand for food, the amount of supply to meet that demand etc etc it's never a win win situation. I guess the most we can do is take the pre-cautions and avoid the bad foods to as much as we can.

Goal 1 - 95kgs complete! Goal 2 - 90kgs Goal 3 - 85kgs
Old 21-01-2012, 11:00
I am Absolutely Fabulous

This is one of the reasons I decided to become a vegetarian. At home we now grow our own vegetables (fruit is taking longer). The taste is so much nicer and I feel so much better. But when I start Cohens I won't be able to have much of what is growing in our backyard as it isn't on the list LOL.

We even make our own yoghurt.

Unfortunately as the planet grows and humans become more "greedy and needy", companies need to keep up with the demands. How they do that is by adding chemicals to the foods you buy!

We don't need much to survive - so the insanity of the planet and its people baffles me!

Tags
food