New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > Discussion on Cohen's Lifestyle programme

Notices

Old 22-10-2011, 11:05
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary
Default Motivation (in reverse?) - food for thought !!

Hi all,

One occasionally heard quote (which I couldn't quickly find using Google - sorry ) went something like this :-

"We are more inclined to move away from things we don't want, than we are to move toward what we do want". Sorry - the words are mine, and they still don't sound quite right....

If anyone knows the REAL quote, please share it !!

But, having had that thought cross my mind, I wondered if YOU find you are "Motivated by a desire to move away from what is NOT desirable" - or are you more "Motivated to move toward what will be GREAT".

We seem to have a mix of both thought types posted on here.

Many of the "move toward" thoughts are pretty well covered in the "Physical Changes apart from Weight Loss" thread - here :-
http://newyouforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5249

Feel free to add to that thread too.

Some "away from" motivations I read on here are things like :-

1. My Doctor tells me I must lose weight to get my blood pressure under control
2. I hate feeling like my chest is crushing me when I sleep on my back
3. I deviated once and it was TERRIBLE !! I felt bloated, had reflux, and couldn't wait to get back to my Cohen meals.
4. I dislike not being able to run around with my kids....

etc....

Know what I mean?

Now, back to that first quote - are you one who is motivated to "move away from what you dislike"?

If so, why not share your thoughts to help motivate others too.

This thread could become almost the "antithesis" of the "Physical changes" thread (which is largely about positive outcomes - and suits those who are inclined to "move toward what they want").

What of those who need more of the "move away from...." motivation? Is that you? Can you help others by sharing what your "away from" thoughts are?

Koh
Old 22-10-2011, 12:09
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Default Re: Motivation (in reverse?) - food for thought !!

This is so true. A lot of the motivational speakers try to get people to reverse this. They try to get people to visualise where they want to be so they will move towards that goal. This is why in business people write mission statements, goals and incremental steps to achieve their goals - not to mention the training that sports people will do.

It's amazing how quickly you can ahieve a goal following this strategy. I often have to smile at people on the cohen forum who are berating themselves for not losing more on a weekly or daily basis and who have perhaps lost sight of the fact that they may have lost 20 or 30% or more of their body mass and are not seeing that big picture!

Rather that moving away from somethig you dont like, it is good to think of the person you want to be and do all the things you would visualize that person doing! In this case it would be eating like a slim person!

Just trying to fine tuning my maintenance!!
Old 22-10-2011, 12:53
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Louise,

Quote:
This is so true. A lot of the motivational speakers try to get people to reverse this
Yeah, I know they do and perhaps rightly so - but wait.....

In many cases, it can be "too much too soon".

As an example, it wouldn't help much to endeavour to teach a 6-month-old how to run a marathon - they might already be crawling, but walking is a wee way off yet - and running? What's that?

People need to start from where they are right now, and go (grow...) from there.

So, back to the initial thought behind this thread....

Do share any "away from" thoughts that have helped you....
Koh

Last edited by Kohinoor; 23-10-2011 at 15:35.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:47
On my way - To a new me.

You a bit of a thinker Big Ears? (winky smiley face thing) I am definately a swinger in this 'what motivates me' arena!

I find so much motivation in moving away from things that I find offensive, on all levels, but then also find great amounts of motivation in knowing the benefits and rewards at the end of efforts to create a transformation of both mental and physical things that belittle and degrade my worth...

I'm surprised that you couldn't find the quote you were looking for Koh..as with the weightloss industry, personal development and the 'self help' industries are phenomenonly huge, and we have an endless supply available to us for finding the tools and inspiration we need to resolve our feelings of dissatisfaction and inadequacy in this world. By rights, the planet should be full of thin, perfectly spiritually and emotionally aligned humans!!

I can remember more than one occasion where I have been told that I am pessimistic and negative, in talking or relating to my view of the world. What has had a deeper and more profound impact on my life though, is the times when I have been literally in tears feeling and experiencing the absoloute beauty and joy in this world that is just right outside your door, in a piece of the earth - or in the eyes of the closest person. By asking what motivates a person, I feel you are essentially asking a person to summarise every single last sensory experience they have ever had - as I believe that that is human nature, to strive to recreate those feelings of bliss. Ridiculously though, human nature in the 'western world' continues to focus and get a little to caught up on the things that don't matter - and the majority world is thinking about where dinner or water to drink is coming from.

Visualising the 'where and what I want to be', is a powerful, powerful tool, in achieving our desires - your analogy of the baby I think is the key to this one though. If you can think it, and create a picture in your mind - it is achievable. But how do you cleanse the entire picture that your mind can create, all at the one moment, to create the perfect picture - with only the things that we are striving to achieve being manifested? This is where we let ourselves down, and have to do ongoing consistent work, because there will always be movement in our minds that we don't focus on, that disrupts our pretty pictures..has anyone ever trully lived in their subconscious, and seen the trully amazing things that it is capable of - and on the flip side the warped and twisted depths, that we send ourselves into with our beliefs and traumas of just living?

Haaa...rarara..it's too hot to go out into the yard, and I did too much yesterday and am sore.

Back to weightloss. I know that if I create the body and the headspace of sobriety and beauty, everything else falls into place. I don't know if I'm spelling this right, but a philosopher named Maturano (rato maybe, verbal via Yoga instuctor) talked about the 'focus on what works, and what doesn't work, falls away', common in many circles. And this for me is a great motivator - but then also, I need to remain aware of the things that bother and offend me, as they keep me striving toward the picture of the me that I love the most. Complacency is equal to death. (Jello Biafra). And also, there are no thin people, and there are no fat people - we are all just people. I think the distinctions that we place on ourselves should all be abolished, and if I could give one gift to all the members of this forum, it would be the gift of feeling their bodies in complete harmony with the earths atmosphere. Sort of changes your perspective on who and what you are.. Energy as one..you know, in tune with universe? Believing and feeling that you are nothing but energy, surrounded, or just being part of the one energy. You're not a fat body, you are a mass of energy, alive and alight with the rest of the universe. Think Louise Hay reading Stephen Hawkings 'A brief history of time', aloud with commentaries.

Then, once you've stopped levitating and have to go and do the dishes, you have to be able to integrate all this into your daily existence!! How? How I ask you, indeed?

Focus on the sick sad world, so you know what you don't want to be, whilst knowing that you are actually just 'nothing' really!

Old 23-10-2011, 15:10
On my way - To a new me.

I must say I have started the program with wanting to move away from being obese as the deciding factor. I know that when I get closer to my goal wt that then it will be about moving towards what I want, esp the refeed. Just my two cents worth. Jen

Old 23-10-2011, 17:54
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

motivation they say is like bathing, what ever it is they recommend it every day.

Tags
food , motivation , reverse , thought