New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Support Boards > Koh's Classics

Notices

Old 13-03-2017, 21:30
Feeling more at home

Default Re: Koh's blog - "Not the Nine O'Clock News"

I was introduced to program 10 years ago was successful until I fell pregnant then struggled to get back on plan after my 2nd child. Some familiar names still around.

Started 24 May 2011
Old 11-04-2017, 13:32
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

For those who knew me and cared when things weren't going so well, I just wanted to do a bit of an update.

In one of my last updates, I mentioned the Sporting Club that I had hoped might be the silver lining for me. Turned out it wasn't - I suspect now that they "took me on" just for a week until someone else came back from sickness or whatever, as I was out of work again within two weeks !!

So "Boo!" to that one. Lots of other things happened - we took on domestic cleaning as we still couldn't get a pension (all because of the properties we had bought while investing... we were "asset rich and cash poor").

In early 2014 my Mum had a fall - she broke her leg, went into surgery, and appeared to be on the mend 3 weeks later, when she must have just "had enough" and she passed away peacefully. She had made 94, so had done pretty good, and had got to spend the last 5 years of her life nearby to my sister in Chch, so I am sure that helped her to be happy while in a rest home. She was an astonishing woman, one that I was (and still am) proud to call "My Mum". Vale Muriel

As 2013 and 2014 went on, Mrs Koh became steadily more and more weak. She was losing weight over those two years, but steadfastly refused to go to a Doctor, instead sticking to her favourite "alternate adviser". Despite my best efforts to discuss her health logically, she clung to her beliefs stubbornly, and steadily went downhill. Late in 2014, one of our sons managed to convince her that she really should "get a second opinion". Just after Xmas she relented and visited a local doctor. His actions (after a quick xray) were swift. He said to me "Will you drive her straight to hospital, or should I call an ambulance?" He had diagnosed Pneumonia - and that is not an illness to muck around with. At the Emergency section of the Hospital, we were attended to within 10 minutes - the "Triage" aspect told me "This certainly was serious" - usually, any trips to Emergency would see us there for an hour or more before being handled.

She was hospitalised for about 5 days - in that time, the antibiotics had her taste buds affected majorly. Even her cups of tea tasted "terrible" apparently. But there were a couple of huge silver linings - one was that, while she was hospitalised, she couldn't smoke, so I didn't either (I had been on Champix to get myself off them anyway - and it had been helping me to cut way back...) On coming out, she stayed off them until the first night when she woke to say "I'm dying for a ciggie". My sleepy answer was "They're on the fridge!" She didn't get one that night, nor the next night, the night after......

We had stumbled on "a way that worked for us". They were always "there and available" for either of us if we wanted them. We hadn't "thrown them in the bin" and then grieved for what we didn't have any more....

It worked!!

That newly opened pack of ciggies remained on the fridge until we threw them out some 18 months later - they were looking pretty awful by then !!

The other good thing was that Mrs Koh regained her weight quite quickly. She reached her full fighting weight of 55Kg within about 3 months and has stayed there (plus or minus about 3Kg) from then until now. Her health is fully restored once more - that took a whole heap of concern off the table !!

What else? Well, we now only have one investment property left (the Holiday House in Springbrook). The rest were sold to "keep us going". We should be able to get something of a pension soon, but I am not holding my breath..... The paperwork needed to get a pension going would kill a small forest to make paper !! Especially if one owns a few properties..... but that is less of a problem now for us.

So yeah, for a while there, things were pretty full-on, and not in a good way. But we appear to be through most of that now. Keep your fingers crossed for us,

Koh

Last edited by Kohinoor; 25-04-2017 at 16:20.
Old 13-04-2017, 18:44
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Oh Koh, thank you for sharing your heart here. I'm so sorry to read about the horrid time you have had. I had no idea what you were suffering through but I am so glad there have been some improvements in your situation. I hope that despite your feelings about the outcome of your pension application, there will only be good news from here onwards.

You will be in my prayers and my fingers are crossed for you and Mrs Koh.

Sending you both much love and wishing you everything that is good.

Louise

Louise

"Just follow the plan, maintain your new habits and you will be rewarded!"
Awesome post - A Thank You from :-
Old 14-04-2017, 13:33
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Dear Koh

Big hug mate , this country's government has a lot to answer for. The people that worked their hearts out for so many hard working years have been left behind in all the red tape and the pensioners have been totally ripped off.

Take it easy and all the best

Get lots of sleep. Get sunshine. Laugh. Go outside and play. Avoid grains and sugar like the plague.
Started 3 January 2013 92.5kg's
Finished re feed 27 May 2013 54.1kg's
Maintaining is a work in progress
Old 20-05-2017, 01:06
On my way - To a new me.

My NYF Diary

Dear Koh,
I never realized you actually had a diary!
I have often wondered why you disappeared for a while. Heartbreaking to hear of your family's tough times.
Will be praying for much more better days for you and your loved ones.
Cheers, MM

Cohen 2012: lost 36.8 kg in 7 months
Cohen 2017:
22-Jan-2017 93.9 kg
18-Feb-2017 87.1 kg
20-Mar-2017 83 kg
21-Apr-2017 79.6 kg
19-May-2017 77.3 kg

Tags
blog , diary , koh , not the nine oclock news