New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Starting and Running > NEW MEMBERS... Start here!

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 23:53
Part of the Furniture

Default Water - What is too much?

Hi there,

I'd just be interested to know... how much water do you drink per day? How much is too much water? Other than flushing out essential vitamins and minerals, which I know is a problem, is there any other danger to drinking 4 + litres a day? And has anyone noticed that DECREASING water intake has helped their weightloss?

I do drink quite a lot of water and am just not sure that I'm doing the right thing?!

Thanks y'all

Maintaining between 60kg and 63kg... for life
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Default Re: Water - what is too much?

I have found the old recipe that is often thrown up here to be good - 1 litre of water per 25 kg of body weight to be about right for me.

If I don't drink the water my weight loss slows considerably - and it is noticeable in my mood - I get cranky and and hungry in a different way to normal - then I really crave the water - also I was told the the body stores the toxins in our fat so as the fat breaks down it returns those toxins to our system via the kidneys and liver.

That is another reason to keep our water intake up and high - to keep the toxins flushed out of our body.

When I started in August it was also easier to drink water as I was going into a Western Queensland summer which is very hot - so was drinking about 5 litres per day anyway. I was 141 or better kgs as well then.

I was concerned that I would flush the salts and electrolytes from my system but the blood tests do tell you exactly what is happening - which is another reason and why the importance of the blood test at 4 weeks and throughout the program - and a good reason to add your doctors name to your blood tests - the little box on the left side of the blood request - my doctor always checks my blood tests as well - he reads them and looks at it for me - and he has told me they (my electrolytes) are fine.

As a bloke its very easy to stand and see the colour of urine - and for the first six weeks my urine was almost black - and even now as I come down its slightly lighter. Also the water helps stop constipation - which is starting to plague me at this time - with over 50 kg gone and about 15 to 20 to go suddenly I find the old constipation is more frequent - so my doctor has told me to increase my water to keep moisture to keep it soft.

Whilst away last week in Brisbane I drank less water - and my weight loss is zero and after a day at home I have gained 500 grams over night - and I did not drink two litres of water yesterday - and would not have drunk that much per day for the last 7 days - so will now increase to 4 litres every day to move things along.

Andy
Old 04-03-2008, 07:24
Never Giving Up

Andy.. that is SOOO interesting. Thank you for sharing that.
I have NEVER in the whole time I've been on the program had an issue with constipation till now, towards the end.. I have increased my water intake thee past couple of days, so hopefully it helps..
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03
On my way - To a new me.

hey Andy and Faithy,

I'm not starting to have that issue too, with only 10kg to go! It must be something that happens towards the end, I certainly haven't had any problems before this.
my water intake changes a lot day to day, some days i find if i have just that little bit too much water (usually around the 4l mark) I start to feel very sick in the head and stomach. So it kind of puts me off and then i don't seem to drink as much the next couple of days, then I realise that I have not been enough and repeat the vicious cycle...
but I'm going to talk to the clinic about a gentle laxative and see how I go from there...

nelle
xoxo
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Yeh I generally drink 3 litres and me too have found constipation becoming a problem - yuck
Mind~body~spirit approach is my winning formula

Goal 1: Under 80kg (done 4.5.13) Goal 2 - 75kg, Goal 3 Under 70kg, Goal 4 - normal BMI 65.8kg!! Goal 4 - final goal 65 - 62kg and start refeed

Old 04-03-2008, 12:35
Feeling more at home

Hi all,

i too am having trouble with constipation when i didnt pre-cohens.
And i am only about 1/3 way thru......
I drink at least 3 - 4 litres a day and it doesnt help at all.
Using metamucil at the moment which is helping. The Clinic also suggested "BlackForrest" tea, but to be careful. i havent managed to get any yet to see if that helps.
But i have been told the water is absolutely essential for the weight loss. My friend struggles to get the water in and now carries around a bottle with rubber bands on it, and removes 1 for each bottle she has. She says this is a great help. But her weight loss slows right down when she doesnt get the water in for the day.

Started Refeed 23/8/2008 at 59.5kg. Finished refeed 6/9/2008 at 58.6kg .
Old 05-03-2008, 21:18
Feeling more at home

Hi All!!

Some great suggestions there - I have always drunk what I thought was a lot of water each day - but even 3 litres was a stuggle to start with! I didn't have a 3 litre container, so purchased a "bottled water" container which was 3 litres and I refill that every morning. I leave it out on the counter bar with a glass beside it.... not really into iced cold water) and duriing the day when I walk past I just have a drink. If I go out I fill a small water bottle but don't count that in the 3 litres. When I'm back home I have the remaining water reminding me that I still have some to go. It works ok for me and after this short time on Cohens, 3 litres now is easy to get thru.

janette
Old 06-03-2008, 15:50
On my way - To a new me.

I am finding that my water intake is increasing as I am so thirsty all the time.

I drink at least 3 to 4 X 750ml bottles at work and then another 1- 2 when I get home.

I am only supposed to drink 3 litres a day

In the morning I feel as if I hadn't drunk for weeks I am so thirsty when I get to work.

So I am not struggling with too little but I feel I may be pushing the too much water.
Old 06-03-2008, 21:58
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I'm also noticing I'm thirsty, lj. I drink 4 litres per day, not many full glasses. I generally find that a few mouthfuls is all I need at a time, but I have noticed how thirsty I am, despite drinking more water than I ever have before.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 06-03-2008, 23:02
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Yeh I drink 4 750ml while at work and have another 1 or 2 at home

The formula is meant to be for every 25 kilos we should drink 1 litre.. but hey in Alice it's HOT! so I rekon we need more
Mind~body~spirit approach is my winning formula

Goal 1: Under 80kg (done 4.5.13) Goal 2 - 75kg, Goal 3 Under 70kg, Goal 4 - normal BMI 65.8kg!! Goal 4 - final goal 65 - 62kg and start refeed

Old 06-03-2008, 23:33
Part of the Furniture

Thanks so much all for your insight and comments. I've been keeping track of my water intake and it seems that 3.5l is pretty much optimal. But I also feel really thirsty these days too. I've noticed on the days I drink more than 3.5l I pick up weight or plateau for a day or two - which must mean something like water retention?!

Thanks again,

Maintaining between 60kg and 63kg... for life
Old 18-03-2008, 00:30

I drink 2 liters a day sometime 2.5 if I drink more than that I get sick a tummy and light headed. Plus running to the tolit every 2 minutes. I run enough just with the 2 liters.
Old 18-03-2008, 03:44

My NYF Diary

Hey there guys...I was just reading your posts and have noticed a bit of a common theme with the constipation toward the end of your weight loss jurney. Increasing your water intake will deffinately help to get your bowels moving as it will help to hydrate the bowel and everything in it. Also, increasing your excercise level will help. As you move more your bowel will be stimulated to do the same. Light walking is all you need to do and if you are already doing this, increasing the distance and or frequency will help. You don't want to over do it though so be mindful of what your body is telling you. Natural fiber therapy every morning and or night will also help a great deal. You can get natural cillium husk from the yealth food store or from the chemist which will also aid bowel motility.

As for the question, how much water is too much. As long as you have a normal functioning liver and kidneys you can pretty much drink as much water as you like. Consuming large amounts of water can have an effect on electrolite balance so again, pay attention to what your body is telling you. Make sure you are taking your multi vitamin and perhapse use something like Celtic Sea Salt in your diet as it has a larger mineral load than other salts.

Nurse AlmostEden signing off
Mini Goals: Start the program (complete 29/04) - Under 110kg (completed 04/05) - 106.7kg and under my last Cohens start weight (completed 25/05) - Under 105kg (complete 05/06) - Double Didgits and half way to goal...YAY!!!- Under 95kg - 94kg and into the overweight range - 92kg and past my old sticking point - Back In The 80's - Personal Goal of 87kg...time for refeed!!!!!!!!!! YAY

Old 18-03-2008, 15:34
On my way - To a new me.

Thanks Nurse AE

I was getting a little concerned about drinking too much water and didn't want to restrict myself if I am thirsty. Even went and drank a diet pepsi the other night just to avoid another bottle of water.

LJ
Old 18-03-2008, 22:21
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

LJ, my consultant says 1 litre of water for every 25 kg of body weight, so in your case, 3 litres a day would be about right, plus any other drinks you might have.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 22-03-2008, 17:00
I'm new, please be nice to me.

I find the 1l for 25kgs formula works perfectly for me. I used to drink 4.1L a day but when I dropped it down to 3.2L my fat started melting quicker.
Old 22-03-2008, 18:23
I am here for good

Thanks that is good to know
Shell

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:05
On my way - To a new me.

When I went for my first blood test (4 weeks) my UREA was low. My consultant told me to cut back on my water intake, as it might have been the case that I was relinquishing too many vitamins and minerals from my body. I was drinking up to 5 litres a day... now I'm at about 3 litres. I'm yet to have the follow up blood tests (at 12 weeks) but it does show that sometimes you could have too much water.

Cheers Trips xxxx

100% Cohens Challenge DEVIATION FREE:
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04
Feeling more at home

Hi,

A friend of mine sent me this article she came accross on drinking too much water. I've always been of the beleif that drinking heaps of water benefits you though I do admit to over drinking sometimes.. I can easily drink up to 5L of water, double my 1L per 25kg....

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Article - 8 Glasses of Water Bunkum.pdf (90.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29
Goddess

THat 1lt per 25kg formula works, BUT there's an 'end bit' that keeps getting dropped off... It should read : 1lt per 25kg with a maximum of 4-5 lt.

For example, if you weigh 200kg, you should NOT drink 8lt!

However, don't overly fret about drinking 'too much' as such, it will show up in your Blood Test and your clinic will let you know.

asy

Started: 4th July, 06 (MY independence day!) ... Finished: July 2, 2007 ... 88kg lost in 12 months
Don't annoy me... I just learned the Bat Bogey Hex...

Tags
water