New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Support Boards > Fashion and Beauty

Notices

Old 28-05-2016, 22:47
Feeling more at home

Default Sunscreen

I am making sure that I take sufficient vit C, A, K & E in my diet to reduce melanin production but I would like to make this sunscreen which is supposed to be SPF30 I can't for the life of me remember where I found it - can anyone tell me whether this will work please? My skin is happy with shea butter as it is in my Monsia skincare and I have used coconut oil, sparingly with no problems.

55 gms coconut oil
14.18 gms beeswax granules
55 gms shea butter
30 gms zinc oxide powder
lavendar or essential oil of your choice for smell

Place all ingredients except the essential oil into a pyrex jug into the microwave for 2 minutes, take it out, mix it thoroughly and add essential oil (amount is up to how strong you want it to smell). Pour into 2 heatproof jars with lids and leave to solidify.
Old 09-11-2016, 22:06
I'm new, please be nice to me.

Default Re: Sunscreen

This will actually work because coconut oil is an excellent massage oil, which is very effective moisturizer for all types of skin. Beeswax granules are good for skin treatments. Vitamin A in Shea butter is very useful for improving a number of skin conditions and they are known as skin's best friend. Zinc oxide can be used in ointments and as lotions to protect against sunburn. But as far as I have read sunscreens only are not enough for skin protection. Sun-hats, proper clothing and sunglasses are important too. Stepping out, one should apply sunscreens and use sunglasses like wood-like wayfarers as these are specially designed for UV protection. You can view online similar products that have UV protection lenses.
Old 10-11-2016, 22:38
Feeling more at home

Thank you MaryClarke for your tips and welcome to this forum.
Old 14-11-2016, 19:36

Thank you for your tips ~
Old 24-12-2016, 22:05
Feeling more at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryClarke View Post
This will actually work because coconut oil is an excellent massage oil, which is very effective moisturizer for all types of skin. Beeswax granules are good for skin treatments. Vitamin A in Shea butter is very useful for improving a number of skin conditions and they are known as skin's best friend. Zinc oxide can be used in ointments and as lotions to protect against sunburn. But as far as I have read sunscreens only are not enough for skin protection. Sun-hats, proper clothing and sunglasses are important too. Stepping out, one should apply sunscreens and use sunglasses like wood-like wayfarers as these are specially designed for UV protection. You can view online similar products that have UV protection lenses.
My homemade sunscreen did work but I found an alternative which was cheaper than making my own "Shade All-Natural Sunscreen Mineral Sun Cream SPF25" on amazon, uk. Remembering your comments about uv protection of eyes etc., my 2nd find was Karmin's Heat Protection & Shining Spray which "Guard your hair from heat and UV rays while optimizing the effectiveness of flat irons, curling irons, and hair dryers". I have very short hair and I quirted one onto my palm, smoothed it mainly on the ends & up the hair shaft, 3 squirts was sufficient. My hair is super shiny with no fly-aways, the spray also contains argan oil.
Old 12-03-2018, 21:53

Sounds good to me.
Old 19-04-2018, 13:57
Feeling more at home

I just got back from my vacation. I used VCO exclusively as my sunscreen. I had no burns and my tan is even and golden.

Last edited by Audrie; 19-04-2018 at 14:01.

Tags
shea butter , sunscreen , zinc oxide