New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Starting and Running > NEW MEMBERS... Start here!

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 19:35
I'm new, please be nice to me.

Question Will this be any different...

.... to all the other things I have done to loose weight and never stick to?

I am very inspired by reading all the comments on this forum but it almost sounds too good to be true.

I have never heard of this program before today but I think I might give it a go.... just a bit nervous at failing as I have "started" so many things before and I loose a bit and then just slip back into my old ways .... I am a very emotional eater ....and I sabotage my efforts by overriding my better judgement every time.... not sure why this program will be any different but all the comments seem to be amazingly positive.

I am just at the stage when my face is starting to change shape and I feel really big all of a sudden (particularly my boobs)..... so have to do something now!

I've never joined any sort of forum before so sorry if this is a bit disjointed .... not feeling very confident!

Bees
Old 04-05-2011, 20:30
On my way - To a new me.

Default Re: Will this be any different...

hi yes it will be different.
Had the same doubts when i joined. And hadn't also heard of cohens before either.
It is quite strick and outside influences can be hard. but follow 100% and you will just drop the fat , week after week. Im actually upset at my self i took almost a month to get onto cohens. but in 3 months have lost 20kgs. I posted this arvo at the bottom on the post page is a tab to choose were to go on this forum. look up refeed and maintenance diaries and click on peoples names and view public profile and be surprised by transformations in pictures and the the time frames these real people have lost on cohen's.All the proof you need. good luck on your journey. the forum is great.

Old 04-05-2011, 20:45
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Bees,

Welcome aboard. It seems you have already "read around" a bit, and got the vibe re what's happening !! That's a good start.
Quote:
but it almost sounds too good to be true
All I would suggest is "If something sounds that way, at least ALLOW for the possibility that it might be true"....

There is much to learn, young grasshopper, but, if you can learn it, your future will be WAY different to your past.

Have you noticed how many on here say things like "I WISH I had heard of this xx years ago?" If not, keep reading - these posts are common on here.

And why is Cohens "so little known"? I think it is because it is not promoted via advertising (filling the coffers of media who run ads, thus adding to the cost of the program).

But, it IS promoted by those who have done it - and, I may not even finish typing this before you are besieged with replies from others who have "felt the way you did", and have succeeded anyway.

In short, THIS WAY IS DIFFERENT !! It is geared TO YOU via your blood tests (it is actually DANGEROUS to "share" your program with anyone else - as it could seriously impede/hurt them if they attempted to follow YOUR program). And yet, that very "individual programming" is what makes it ideal for you.

There are no meals sold (you cook them all) - there are no "pills/shakes" out of the ordinary - though vitamins and a few other helpful items are mentioned. One of the reasons I stick around, is because I totally believe that the good Doc has found "the ideal way" to bring you to your best - very quickly, and very safely. for Dr Cohen.

Of course, DO share it with your GP or other medical professional - most are in favour (unless they have something to gain by keeping you "captive" - note, the latter is MY opinion only....)

Stick around, and soak up the good vibes, Bees - getting/staying happy is another important part of the whole picture.

To your original question - "Will this be any different?" - I simply say that I totally believe you will be DELIGHTED with the difference to any/every other way you might have tried.

Of course, that will only work if YOU stick to your Plan like glue - it tells you what you can/can't have. Stick with that, and in just 2 - 3 weeks, you WON'T BELIEVE how good things are for you.

But, it IS up to you (as it has been for every single person on here - except me - see my signature )

Koh
Old 04-05-2011, 21:22
Getting up again!

yep, i get your feelings, I felt the same.. I'd even had lap band surgery and it didn't work.

This works!

I too am a VERY emotional eater (and drinker) .. well WAS. not anymore.

I have the flu right now, generally a trigger to eat, but i found just smelling comfort food gave me comfort.. weird but thats what happens over time.

i also have worked on the emotional side via a book, perhaps you should consider doing that if you choose to start cohens, kill two birds with one stone.

I'm almost 13weeks in, never had this kind of success even after my lapband surgery. you actually FEEL awesome.

And for me personally? this forum is part of my strategy. The people here are my family, and I know they care about my journey and success as i care about theres. That, for me, makes a huge difference!

I've even met some of the wonderful people on this forum and its helps having your own cheer squad the know the journey.

Good luck and I hope you make the decision to do the program. its time to LOVE yourself.
Old 04-05-2011, 21:40
Part of the Furniture

Hi Bees,

If you sign up to the program and stick with it, you will be "buzzing" in no time....

I heard about it years before I started through slimming magazines I had purchased (including Asy as a slimmer of the year nominee). Having tried many things before unsuccessfully to manage my weight over the years, I thought it was too good to be true. I had some basic training in nutrition (very basic mind you) and it seemed like it could be a gimic. But it is NOT. Now I don't try to figure out how and why it works, I just accept it on faith, because it works so well and so quickly.

I too checked out the program for some time by reading on forum, I wish I had joined sooner. My journey has been a bit stop/start due to pregnancy and miscarriage, overseas holiday for three months, pregnancy 1 month after returning from my holiday, the birth of my first child and exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months.

I have been back on the program completely since late January and in that time I am down 30kg. I am thrilled. And people are constantly commenting on my weight loss.

What Koh says is true - the key is to STICK to your program. Follow it to the letter - think of it as a prescription from your Dr. It really really helps to not deviate because it keeps your cravings away, your weight loss humming along and your mindset strong. I tried restarting a few months earlier than I finally did, but for a range of reasons, I did not follow it 100% and you do not get all the hormones in balance and it can really make you feel like you are struggling all the time and for so many of us, it is the beginning of the end (I tried using my old pre-pregnancy program too, which did not help).

I am determined to stay deviation free until my journey is complete, 13 weeks deviation free and of course, each week you do that it gives you confidence to see your journey through. I have stayed deviation free for my wedding anniversary, birthday, daughterís first birthday and Easter (usually danger times). I say to myself that if I have managed to stick to the program for these events, there is nothing coming up that could possibly be worth deviating for. It is so empowering to say NO, whether to yourself or others and so worth it.

What have you got to lose? Your excess weight. Itís not too good to be true Ė itís so much better!

78 kilos lost in 12 months - thank you Dr Cohen

Spreading my wings in maintenance and hoping to add to my brood
Old 04-05-2011, 21:46
Loving Life!

Bees

The only way this time will be different, is because you make it different.

Give yourself the best opportunity to make it different, and make the conscious decision and effort to make those positive changes in your life.

It is extremely easy to slip back into old patterns and revert to negative ways.. be brave, be consistent, BELIEVE in yourself and take the steps you need to take to change your life for good. Remember that this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change, accept that, and you will be set up for success in every way!

Take back your life - you are the only one who can do it! Time to be your own Hero!

x

Last edited by MissNix; 04-05-2011 at 22:21.
Old 04-05-2011, 22:34
I'm new, please be nice to me.

Thanks for the very quick responses... I guess this support is a big part of why the program works.

I am a bit unsure about how I would live any sort of normal life while on the diet... the comments seem to stress how strict it is and that you have to weigh your food .... how do you manage if you have to go out .... or because it seems so quick do you just make the decision to not go out, not drink, not have anything you shouldn't .... just thinking if I could be that strict then perhaps I wouldn't need to go on any sort of diet!?

Bees
Old 04-05-2011, 23:55
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Bees,
Quote:
just thinking if I could be that strict then perhaps I wouldn't need to go on any sort of diet!?
There is SO much more to it than just being strict, Bees.

The world is FULL of mis-information re food/health/weight. Even the "food pyramid" that I recall learning of as a kid in the 1950's is SO way out-of-whack that "being strict" wouldn't help at all. The base of the pyramid is full of carbs - and SO many are done a dis-service by making carbs their staple.

In short, there is much to learn. If you aren't convinced, just stick around, read around, and soak up the information that is freely given on here. Once "your time" is here, it will be your time. No need to "push it" - it will be right for you when it is right.

Let's face it, you can only hear of success of others so often before you will start thinking "Why not me too?"

Re "living a normal life", well that depends - first, define what is "normal". If normal is to eat out with friends once/twice a week, no probs. HOW you eat out might need a bit of work though.

If "normal" is to fill up on carbs - hmm, needs work !!! How well has it worked for you up to now? Once more, there is lots to learn Bees - but, I'm sure it is not beyond you.

I would say, it is GOOD that you are asking questions. If you weren't, it would seem like "your mind is made up" - almost locked, really.

So, good on you for asking more. Shows an open mind, with a chance for future rewards.......
Koh
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41
On my way - To a new me.

Well Bess - I for one have not stuck to a single thing prior to Cohens
(and I can guarantee you there are plenty more like me)

With regards to what works with Cohens:
Is it the right headspace - certainly helps
Is it the forum - I think that is a positive, but a whole bunch of people who are lovely and encouraging are not going to shift your weight for you
Is it the program - I think the answer here is yes yes yes
If you can be on a program where you feel comfortable, not hungry, satisfied - then why would you eat more (only because your head needs some assistance also to get around the mental gymnastics we all play with ourselves)
This is why I think this works - if I am hungry, I will eat - regardless of goals, how I look, what promises I have made to myself etc
If I am not hungry, then food becomes secondary to all my other weight loss differences - sleeping better, fitting into smaller clothing, feeling better etc etc

It works - because we are given just enough to get by (thereby allowing our bodies to use our stored fat ..which is lets face it, the only way weight will move)
When we are off the program, if we recommence the way we thought was "normal" before, we will go back to looking our formal "normal" - hopefully we will all learn enough whilst undergoing our transformation to learn the new type of "normal".
Here I am day 78 (so essentially I have just done 11 straight weeks of Cohens with NOT ONE SINGLE CHEAT and I have lost 20.3kg
The most I have ever accomplished on anything else is 8 kg - and that would be over 5 or so months.
Eating out is an issue - especially at first - i have gone out a few times - but I certainly wouldnt recommend it until you get your head around what is required of you regarding portion size. (which might take a month or so)
Portion size is scary at first - I wont lie..but why should that matter when you feel full. It is only a shock for the first week..then it becomes "normal". (BTW - portion size increases in refeed, so you are not on tiny amounts for life)
In the end, I can only say to you that I wish this was something I found sooner
People will do what they want with it - some will cheat while on Cohens, some wont
All I think is that this is the best possible platform to enable you to make the decision as to which way you want to go
Hope that this helps you!!
p.s. I have never done forums before either - didnt want to keep a diary either - but it helps to have something to log into and (in my case) offload, rant and rave.. quite cleansing almost!! And anonymous