New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > The Home Stretch! Refeeding discussion

Notices

Old 31-10-2007, 07:54
Feeling more at home

Default Do you think some people (me!) should just never eat anything but Cohen's?

Just wondering how to go about life after Cohen's. As my other post has been discussing my 'pig out' -- I am wondering whether I should just never eat any of the bad foods? Is this something that anyone of you do? I really want to be able to stop myself and eat in moderation, but I think, perhaps the answer is not to even eat one...

am I making sense?
Old 31-10-2007, 08:22
Anniem

Default Re: Do you think some people (me!) should just never eat anything but Cohen's?

HI Glassaangel

How you doing? I dont know cause i still have 2.8 to go but what i am planning to do is try and eat cohens when ever i can and just if i go out to restaurant or some where have what i want. You can only order so much but i will just get entree size like i used to. But i will put milk in my coffee and a choc maybe 2 times a week but i am so going to try not to have all the time.

It is scary cause like you say once you have something you want more and pig out. I think just try to stick to the best meals you can and smaller meals dont go back to big meals.

With chocolate i dont know if it will work but i am going to go to Charlesworth and get my fav like rasberry chocs but only get $2.00 worth which is not many and then they have to last me until the next time i go and not have any others in between. That is my plan then i still get a treat but am not getting used to just having it all the time again like before.

I think try stick to the best you can you say on your ticker you are still below your goal so you must be doing well.

I am not sure cause i am not there yet and i guess every one has the same problem. Just try not to go over board, have one day a week or half a day where you can have what you feel like but not pig out.

Annie
Old 31-10-2007, 10:57
Part of the Furniture

Default Re: Do you think some people (me!) should just never eat anything but Cohen's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniem
HI Glassaangel

With chocolate i dont know if it will work but i am going to go to Charlesworth and get my fav like rasberry chocs but only get $2.00 worth which is not many and then they have to last me until the next time i go and not have any others in between. That is my plan then i still get a treat but am not getting used to just having it all the time again like before.

Annie
Annie, sounds like a good idea to me. And I was wondering same as glasssangel: if we know what foods make us fat and/or loose control, may it is the safest to cut them out for some more time. A bit like giving up smoking, the first 2 years I was still thinking about having a cigarette in those dear moments etc. I gave in a few times in that time, and after that my thoughts were on cigarettes intensively for about 3 weeks each. I dont think about them at all anymore (5 years since I gave up), and am sure that if I had one on a drunken night, the next morning I would not think about having another anymore. But: I don't want to have one now, and maybe it can be the same with chocolate. Mind you, I think chocolate is the healthiest sin, as you can do what Annie does: perfect chocolate, expensive, small serve, has good health effect and not so much sugar.

So i avoid all chocolate bars etc, no muffins unless baked myself, no pastry as combination of fat and sugar is the killer for my cravings, no croissants (unless I go to France, where they would be worth the sin), no cereals, no pasta or pizza unless I make the pizza myself, and here I can buy at an Italian place the best base, and just put on my own toping with lean meat and veg and some mozzarella. No sugar, no milk.

Glassangel, see it as things that make you sick, like if you were allergic to nuts. Say to people, sorry, no sugar or no chocolate because I reacxt badly/am allergic etc, then they won't push you either. Works well most of the times.

Cheers

Katrin

Old 31-10-2007, 11:44
Feeling more at home

Quote:
Glassangel, see it as things that make you sick, like if you were allergic to nuts. Say to people, sorry, no sugar or no chocolate because I reacxt badly/am allergic etc, then they won't push you either. Works well most of the times.
Yep - yeah. That's me...and sugar is my thing (I;ve just eaten jelly beans ) -- I think that it is going to have to be a no go zone with me...sugar, pasta, cereal...

how'dya go with 'treats' like cheesecake etc?
Old 31-10-2007, 12:25
Feeling more at home

though i've not reached refeed (about 2.5kg to go), i wish to share the plans i have in mind to cope with THE life after cohen's

i think the life after the programme requires experimentation... if you have read another thread i've started here, i wanted to indulge and go on cohen's or non-starch diet for the next couple of days till i go below my ideal maintainence weight, i figure that this might not be too difficult for me since i weigh myself everyday & have been going on low carb diet on & off even before cohen's. also i love food, so it's impossible to ask me to stick to cohen's maintainence guide all the time, i'm still the "live to eat" kind of person. it's best to try methods you could sustain on a long term basis & cater to your personalilty and lifestyle

if the above plan does not work well for me i.e. despite going back to cohen's or cutting carbs & i don't lose weight, then i think i'll make further adjustments till i find a method that works. right now, i'm still optimistic about being able to cut back undesirable weight gain by cutting back carbs as i've seen it work for me during the pre-cohen days.

i'm also planning that on days that my weight is ok but not making any plans to indulge, i'll try to take low GI & low carb meals to strike a balance. i'm going to buy books on low GI & even sugarbuster diet to find out more in order to prepare myself for the life after cohen's. i read that taking carbs (preferably complex ones) is impt for our brains, i do not wish to stay this foggy minded after the programme LOL
Started on 27 Jun 07 @ 76.5kg | Completed Refeed on 6 Dec 07 | Weight on 7 Dec 07: 51.5kg <br />Aiming to maintain between 52.5kg and 54kg (max) till end of Feb 2008<br /><br />[size=12pt]What Matters Even More from Now On is the Life-After-Cohen's!<br />
Old 31-10-2007, 12:47
Feeling more at home

Well I don't mean to be a 'wet blanket' but all my plans before I finished went out the window...with the first bite of 'bad' foods...well not the first bite, but the permission...I hope it's not the same with others...

today I have decided to go back on Cohen's...I just can't see how I am going to manage otherwise.
Old 31-10-2007, 13:26
On my way - To a new me.

Old habits die hard glassangel... And thats all they are...Old habits.
I personally dont believe anyone has to live permanetly on cohens food but I still have to remind myself as to why I got over weight and remember that if
i go back to doing what I did before, then I will go back to looking like I did before. Post cohens definatly is still alot of work.. Mental work.!!!!
Goodluck
kaz
Old 31-10-2007, 13:27
Feeling more at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassangel
Well I don't mean to be a 'wet blanket' but all my plans before I finished went out the window...with the first bite of 'bad' foods...well not the first bite, but the permission...I hope it's not the same with others...

today I have decided to go back on Cohen's...I just can't see how I am going to manage otherwise.
well i hope i can prove you wrong

after going through cohen's & now getting very close to refeed, it has taken great effort & discipline for i've not deviated throughout this period. i'm certainly feeling better about myself & my self-esteem has been given a boost it has given me that sense of hope that when one sets his mind to achieve something, it can be done! so can you!

also did you go below your goal weight before starting refeed? i'm planning for that - i hope to maintain at 54kg, so i'm targetting to start refeed at 52kg. i want to allow some buffer during the experimental stage so that while doing so, i can more or less keep to an acceptable weight range without freaking out much too soon

as i said, it's better to experiment and stick to a plan that you could sustain on a long term basis, no point sticking to a plan but you feel miserable about it, life is too short for that.

all the best
Started on 27 Jun 07 @ 76.5kg | Completed Refeed on 6 Dec 07 | Weight on 7 Dec 07: 51.5kg <br />Aiming to maintain between 52.5kg and 54kg (max) till end of Feb 2008<br /><br />[size=12pt]What Matters Even More from Now On is the Life-After-Cohen's!<br />
Old 31-10-2007, 13:44
I am here for good

I agree in principle with what Tuberose says. Life is too short not to be able to enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures which is food!

Someone said to me a few weeks ago when i said on here that i was going to go down to 50kg = 2kg below bottom of range so that i have insurance as Tuberose talks about. I also said i would do whatever it takes to make that a reality = 52kg MAX! no matter what! The other person somehow thought that meant i was destined for a life of misery! Not so! I plan to take a leaf out of my skinny mini friends' lives. What they do, is eat there version of healthy most of the time - which in our case means not a lot different than the Cohens weight loss program, just larger amounts of Cohen foods.

But when these skinnys do indulge, they choose wisely,and then they sip, saviour, taste, almost make love to their food. Sometimes that may mean a lighter breakfast and lunch to compensate for extra in the eve. That sort of thing. They SAVE UP for treats IN ADVANCE, never IN ARREARS! They also EAT SLOWLY AND DELIBERATELY! Its straightforward behaviour control!

Make up a little mind game in your head! Imagine you are now a princess, prince, or celebrity. For example Nicole Kidman (or if you are a man Tom Cruise!). Imagine when you are around any food you find you have felt out of control with ..........

THAT YOU ARE NOW ON CAMERA! That the whole world is watching you! I reckon if all of us could actually see ourselves, on camera, making a pig of ourselves, or slugging back too much booze, we would be horrified! So todays advice, take this picture with you in all situations and you may never overeat unhealthy food again! Life truly is meant to be indulged and enjoyed! Its your life, so find ways to make it all work to YOUR ADVANTAGE! Oops, back on my soapbox again! Pandora

Old 31-10-2007, 14:02
Feeling more at home

" They SAVE UP for treats IN ADVANCE, never IN ARREARS! They also EAT SLOWLY AND DELIBERATELY! Its straightforward behaviour control!"

what a cool piece of advice Pandora!

i confess that i've gotten so so hungry these days, to a point that i just wanted to pig out TOTALLY ALL DAY LONG FOR LIKE 48 HOURS right after the programme!!! and i must say again that the support & advice from the forums i've been getting are absolutely wonderful! through a few cohenite graduates' advice, i've modified my plans to just try out one treat at a time and eating sensibly for the other 2 meals... and just so that i won't spin out of control too soon!

without all the forums, don't think that idea would sink in my mind, thanks to my love affair with food & that very resilient stubborn & rebellious streak in me LOL
Old 31-10-2007, 15:08
Part of the Furniture

Quote:
how'dya go with 'treats' like cheesecake etc?
Unless bought from The Cheesecake shop, or home-made or from Michelle's Patissarie, everything else is purely imitation and so not worth even one spoonful! If you just simply have to have it to get the thought of it out of your system, then go with the real deal!... just my HO
Old 31-10-2007, 15:16
Part of the Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora
THAT YOU ARE NOW ON CAMERA! That the whole world is watching you! I reckon if all of us could actually see ourselves, on camera, making a pig of ourselves, or slugging back too much booze, we would be horrified!
Did anyone watch the Aussie version of The Biggest Loser last year? They did this on their first night. Everyone was completely embarrassed with what they saw, themselves in all their *biggness* *pigging out* on their favorite foods. It was very confronting for them and I think it helped reinforce why they were there. It is something that needs to be replayed, though, to help keep you on track.
Old 31-10-2007, 15:30
Feeling more at home

Yeah that on camera thing would totally get me 

I loved being on the program, I didn't deviate and I was totally in control. I am so, I dunno, shocked that all that discipline has gone out the window...saving up for treats in advance makes much more sense to me, much more than not eating arbs 4 the next 48 hrs...

This is a steep learning curve...very steep

Oh and Tuberose - I so hope you prove me wrong too
Old 01-11-2007, 23:43
Part of the Furniture

Great piece of advice, Pandora, about the thing being on camera, never thought about that, and also the one to save in advance rather than make up for it.

Today, during the day I was so busy, I wasn't hungry at all in between meals, and that also showed me that being what I think is hungry generally is more wanting to eat than needing to eat. That was interesting. Mind you, didn't stop me form eating out and lots tonight.

I also loved what you said about the skinny friends of yours 'making love' to the food. Has anyone read the book "why french women don't get fat'? great read, lovely recipes, and basically, believe me, she IS enjoying her food, eating three course meals but it just makes sense, lots of veg, small serves, best quality, less quantity etc. Highly recommended read, and there is a recipe for baked champagne chicken, apart from the alcohol very Cohens. And a lovely mousse au chocolate, stewed apple, wonderful thick veggie soups.

Cheers

Katrin

Old 04-11-2007, 23:48
On my way - To a new me.

glasangel - I just posted on your other thread too, but in relation to this topic - why do you feel the need to 'pig out'? The answer to this question might be the key to what helps you through this dilemma (coupled with some of the excellent strategies posted here - which I want to use post Cohens - thanks everyone).

Jackie
Old 05-11-2007, 16:10
Part of the Mod Team

Quote:
Just wondering how to go about life after ... whether I (we) should just never eat any of the bad foods?
Hi glassangel

I was at a social function last week, saw a chap who was on the program at the same time that I was. I lost 28 kilos in 25 weeks, he lost about 47 kilos.

I would say he has put back at least 30 kilos of that over the past twelve months. He looked just fantastic last year - gone was the bloated, bright puce complexion, instead there was this handsome young man with the washboard abdomen, clear complexion, at least ten years younger, full of beans, just great!

Last week, there was this bloated, flabby, fat faced middle aged man back again.

Since July, 2006 I held steady with less than two kilos variation until July this year, when I went through a very stressful time in my new business and have put on three kilos since then. For a full twelve months I ate moderately, did not deny myself anything including a serve of pudding each day and the occasional glass of wine, and the weight stayed even. I did not want to eat or drink more, I loved my new slim body and 'Nothing Tastes As Good As Being Slim Feels', and as time went by I was confident that I would remain about 60 - 62 kilos indefinitely.

Then whammo! Mega stress, lots of anger, feeling really bad and before I knew it, eating just about anything but always after everyone else had gone to bed.

Secret eating, secret self destruction.

Seeing Mr Michellin Man last week brought home to me that once obese, always obese. We became obese because something in our bodies lost the plot. Yes, of course, we force fed the poor thing, never mind the battery hens we may as well have put a funnel down our own throats and just shovelled food down the tube all day long.

But I don't want to ever be obese again. I don't want to bulge over my jeans again. I don't want to sit with the belly bag on my knees again.

So what was my trigger point? Not eating because it was yummy, but eating because I was angry. Actually, there are only two emotions and although in English we have 167 names for emotions, there are really only two:

Love, and Fear.

So while I was in a State of Love - happy, proud, at ease with myself, it was easy to enjoy my new body and to treat it with respect

Once I was in a State of Fear, I turned that Fear onto myself rather than deal with the issue ie sack the wretched man and have done with it. Instead, I struggled along for nine weeks and in that nine weeks managed to put on three kilos!

We must seek to understand what drives us to eat and to understand what foods are compatible with our own, individual, unique bodies.

I know that I cannot, simply cannot, eat much wheat. Toast and cereals and pasta etc are not good for me. These foods actually cause me harm, and set up sugar cravings for hours after I have finished the meal.

If we learned why the program is designed in the way it is, then we have learned how to manage food for ourselves. I went out for dinner on Saturday, I knew I would be drinking wine with the meal, so about an hour before I left home I had a serve of yoghurt and when I got to my friend's house I was able to have a glass of wine before the meal and successfully managed to avoid the starchy nibbles as they had no appeal for me. I had a lovely dinner and ate desert as well, but no ill effects from this as I was prepared beforehand.

Do you face a lifetime of no potatoes or no chocolate? No, definitely not. Do you face a lifetime of slimness? Yes, provided that you pay attention and realise that the occasional packet of jelly babies is not a problem but an iced doughnut every day for morning tea will soon see you looking like a doughnut again!

Have fun, be confident, plan a little and enjoy the results of this amazing program for years to come

And no more Human Blimps! Mr Puffin Marshmellow can go toast himself while you nibble daintily on a couple of squares of ultra-fine Belgian chocolate!

Cheers

Kristine

Lost 28 kilos in 2006, 15 kilos twice since then and 25 kilos in 2017. This is an On Program+Refeed January 2019 lose 10kg refresher - Goal Weight and Size 10, is just a few week's waltz along the beach!
Old 05-11-2007, 20:24
Part of the Furniture

Kristine, what an amazing post. I will print it off and pin it up somewhere, for the time after re-feed.

I am glad you figured out why you were eating, sacked that guys, and are now living the healthy life again. Secret eating, I'm very proud of you that you admitted it, takes a lot of guts. So thanks for that, and keep up the good work. You've always been an inspiration to me!

Katrin

Old 05-11-2007, 20:37
I am here for good

Yes Kristine, thanks from me too for yr heartfelt post re how sobering life can be after Cohens. I too will copy and keep as a reminder not to get too carried away rewriting the script. I have to say once again, you were an inspiration to me in my early days of this program, so much knowledge and attention to detail. You still have all those resources within so no doubt you will soon have those jeans hangin a bit loose! And, if i remember rightly, you got to 60kg but wondered if you should have gone to the 57kg. Maybe this is the time to reconsider and set yr goal a bit lower to give you that EXTRA insurance. It was you who inspired me to aim for the bottom of my goal range and here i am more or less there. So THANKS again, you are a true winner and champion. Pandora

Old 06-11-2007, 01:47
Forum Grease Monkey

My NYF Diary

Kristine,

Did you and Mr Michellin Man talk about Cohens and why he's managed to gain the weight ? I'd be interested to here what excuses he made for himself.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:16
Part of the Mod Team

Hi Baloo

I manoeuvred my way over to him after dinner, but he pointedly continued to talk to someone else while I stood there with my coffee.

Fair enough, I can take a hint!

However, I did notice him looking my way while I was standing at the bar ordering my coffee. I am still in size 10 despite the bulges, and was wearing the navy blue uniform which is quite flattering. To the casual observer I look the same as last year. Whether he was not interested in talking to me per se or not interested in discussing relative weights & measures I don't know.

It could simply be that the Seven Day Wonder effect has worn off. No one is saying 'Wow! Don't you look great!' any more so may as well just go back to eatin' & drinkin' as we used to - in mega quantities just 'cos we can!

As I have said, obesity is an insidious disease, one which must be treated holistically and cannot be treated with antibiotics

Anyway, maybe he simply lost interest and it's easier not to bother.

Shame, though, he was rather dishy at his Ideal Weight!

Cheers

Kristine

Lost 28 kilos in 2006, 15 kilos twice since then and 25 kilos in 2017. This is an On Program+Refeed January 2019 lose 10kg refresher - Goal Weight and Size 10, is just a few week's waltz along the beach!

Tags
cohen , eat , people