New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Diary Boards > Completed Diaries > Completed Personal Diaries

Notices

Old 25-03-2009, 10:37
Part of the Furniture

Talking Jenna's Diary

Hello, All!

I am new to the forum and also to the Dr. Cohen's program.

I saw a segment for Cohens on a Current Affair last week and was so excited as this seemed to be my answer! I am having a harder time than ever getting excess weight off after having a lil girl 8 months ago and being on anti-depressants from post-natal depression. My doctor advised that my body is being quite stubborn about weight loss due to the hormonal imbalances and decrease in metabolism after having a baby. Since this program seems to focus on hormones, I figured this must be the ticket.

I have gone off of the anti-depressants about 2 weeks ago and I took my initial blood test for Cohen's yesterday.

My highest weight (not that this really counts) was 130 kg at full term pregnancy. My weight now is 117 kg, which will be my starting weight most likely since I haven't been able to budge from 115-117 for the last few months.

Diabetes runs (rampant) in my family on both sides - so I need to get a grip. I am currently 28 and my sister was diagnosed at 30. I have decided that I have had enough!!

My "AHA" moment was when I was coming back from Christmas in the USA and I had to cram my butt into the plane seat and couldn't put my tray down in front of me (we were at the bulk head where the bassinets are so there was no seat with a tray in front). I was SO humiliated when the flight attendant said that I might just have to hold the food or put it on my husbands tray.

I'm sick of the aches, pains, headaches, snoring and inability to look at myself in the mirror - I just want to get back to that size 10 that I was 8 years ago and I WILL do it - for myself, my baby daughter and my husband so that I can be my best for them.

We are going on holiday to Cairns in 10 days, so after that I start my program!

I would say wish me luck, but I don't need it - wish me determination!

Last edited by asy; 16-04-2009 at 03:33.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:33
Part of the Furniture

Default Welcome

Hey Jenna,

Most here can relate to where you are at the moment and all will say you have come to the right place.

When you get your progam from Dr Cohen all you have to do is follow it. Plain and simple. No if buts or maybes and you will succeed.

We all have had those moments that we would much rather not have had but looking at the big picture we would never have come to this place and found 'the answer'.

Keep smiling and hugging that lill girl (and man) of yours and know that all you are doing maybe for you at this stage but will benefit your entire family in the long term. Oh! also be careful, this progam was originally designed as a fertility progam and some here have proved that.

Please if you haven't already, start a diary that way you can keep a record of how you're going as well as get heaps of helpful hints and suggestions when needed not to mention encouragement and camaraderie.

I wish you all the best.

Melissa

First started May 26, 2007 97.5kg; Cohens Goal range 51-54kg
Old 25-03-2009, 12:41
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Hi Jenna,

It's the best decision you will ever make doing Cohens, it really does work faster than any other program I know of. All you need to do is live up to your end of the bargain by following the program 100% and that extra weight will be gone in a few months.

Your story sounds similar to mine, I was a size 8 in 2000 when I got married, had two beautiful kids and ended up a size 16/18. Thanks to Cohens I am back in size 8's again There is nothing quite like the feeling of going into a shop and buying smaller sizes again, feels FAB! I still don't believe it sometimes...I grab a size 8 and have my reservations that it will fit , takes a while to sink in after you lose the weight.

Have fun on your hol and get ready to buckle down for a wild ride once you get back. The main thing is to be organised, weigh your meat and freeze it so you can just grab it when you need to.

Suzie

Cohens goal range 53-56kg
Old 25-03-2009, 13:30
Part of the Furniture

Thank you, Melissa & Suzie.

Thanks for the heads up, Melissa! I don't really need to worry about the fertility side of things as hubby has taken care of that issue for us. I have a 14 yr old step daughter and now we have a bub together, so that is enough for us.

I think that is what I love about the idea of the Cohens program - I have been saying for years that I need a diet with concrete evidence of results and tells you exactly what to eat and when to eat it, based on my particular body - idiot proof! (Now if we could just cover emotional eater-proof lol)

The last two months I have been on weight watchers and sticking to my points, exercising, etc and have GAINED 2 kilos. Talk about frustrating. I was even considering lap-band surgery as a last resort until I saw this program. I have no idea what my diet will look like, but I have a general idea of what it includes from reading a lot of the posts on here.

Here's a question - I am allergic to shellfish - is that included in the diet? Are you able to tell them specific foods that you despise so they don't include it, or do you have a list of foods that you are allowed?

Suzie - I cannot wait to be able to rock up to any store I want and just pick out an outfit!! I haven't been able to shop in normal sizes for so long I have just forgotten about shopping and only get clothes when I have holes in my current ones. That must be an amazing feeling - I can't wait! I am currently the biggest I have ever been, a size 20-22.

Old 25-03-2009, 15:18
Part of the Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Here's a question - I am allergic to shellfish - is that included in the diet? Are you able to tell them specific foods that you despise so they don't include it, or do you have a list of foods that you are allowed?

20-22.
Jenna,

Given that on your initial form you tell Dr Cohen what you like, dislike and are allergic to and given that he deems it ok for you to go on the program - and not everyone is as it is dependent on current medications and health - those foods that you cannot have for medical reasons won't be included.

As for the dislikes, somethings we just have to have otherwise it wouldn't work. ie. if you seriously didn't like vegetables that would make things extremely difficult and as others have found the limited range of foods allowed really don't give you much option. That said there is a list of allowed foods so you should find suitable things to eat. Also I found it the perfect opportunity to branch out and try things not ventured into before.

If you are going through a clinic these are questions you should ask before signing up.

Anyway best of luck

Melissa

First started May 26, 2007 97.5kg; Cohens Goal range 51-54kg
Old 25-03-2009, 16:09
Part of the Furniture

Hmm the form I gave them for enrolment did not ask what foods I like or do not. I did state that I was allergic to shellfish. I am sure this would not exclude me from the program and I am on no medication currently.

So we will just see. I love veggies and lean meats so I shouldnt have much a problem there.

Thanks for your answer!

Old 25-03-2009, 20:18

Hey Jenna,

You don't have to eat shellfish, you can choose from a variety of seafood or if you like just stick to the other lean meats. You are given a list of allowed protein, veg and fruit to choose from so it's your choice. You can have the same thing for brekky, lunch and dinner for the whole program if you want to, doesn't matter as long as you follow the rules.

Funny you should mention about the lap band surgery, I got to that low point as well only to have my hubby and mum freak out at me and tell me not to be so stupid....then along came Cohens thank God!

With the emotional eating issues...I think you'll find, like most of us who have done the program that there will be times when it is an emotional roller coaster for you. The things we use to 'mask' or self medicate our emotions like food and alcohol are no longer options.....eeek what to do?!

So it's not only about losing weight but also learning different coping strategies for emotional as well. It can get pretty raw and you may feel vulnerable at times, I found that the forum was a great support for me at times like that. When you are the only one in your family and cirlce of friends on the program you feel a bit like an outsider at times (eg when hubby is sitting down eating pizza and chocolate!) so it's good to be able to come online and vent or just get motivated by other people in the same boat as yourself. Just remember, this is for you and you deserve it!!

Suzie

Old 25-03-2009, 20:30
Part of the Furniture

Hi Suzie

I had the support of my hubby if I wanted to do lap banding as we have a good friend who did it, but it wasn't exactly glamorous even though she did lose all of her weight. She would throw up quite often and had what felt like heartburn all the time...I was that desperate.

My biggest fear is making dinner for my husband and kids - my step daughter would never eat most of the stuff on that list of food, and my hubby certainly would not either. I can't imagine what it will be like for me to make that food for them and then sit there watching them chow down on my fave foods when I know I can't touch them. Also, dining out. Dining out is such a massive part of our lives - I just don't know how I am going to cope with not being able to go out????

Can you go out to restaurants provided you're good once you've gotten to the maintain portion of the programme? How do you balance your social life - going out for birthdays, anniversaries, dinner parties? Do you just eat before you go?

I imagine I will definitely be using the forum to seek support and may be eating a lot of my meals by myself!

Old 26-03-2009, 13:27

Everyone is different, all I can do is tell you what worked for me. I have a hubby and 2 young children so I would usually cook up a big batch of casserole or whatever so they could have it for a couple of nights and maybe freeze some for another time. Saves you cooking for them every night, your meal is quick and easy to prepare if you have weighed and frozen the protein portion before hand. It is hard in the beginning getting used to cooking for others and not having the same as them but believe it or not you do get used to it, takes a couple of weeks to get into the groove though. You can still eat with your family, just not the same stuff .

We very rarely go out to restaurants anyway but there are quite a few people who did eat out through their entire program, mostly due to travelling for work. Check out Louise's diary, she was always travelling and eating out. Just a matter of picking the right things ie meat and salad or veg, and ask them to not use any fat or oil in the dressings or cooking.

With the social things like birthdays etc. yeah I used to eat before or after the event. Just have diet soft drink and maybe fruit (you could take a fruit platter if it's at someones house) or if it's a BBQ you can always take your meat and have salad. You would be surprised though how many people will not even notice that you aren't eating the food on offer, if someone offers you cake or whatever just say you've had enough. If people do notice you aren't eating as you normally would don't feel like an outcast because you know what? They will probably be thinking that it's great you are doing something about your weight.

I know of one lady (not on the forum) who started Cohens just before Christmas and had 90 kg's to lose. She did okay but then stopped the program as she said she felt like a social outcast at Christmas sitting in the corner eating her protein and veg while everyone else was tucking into festive foods. I think the mistake she made was believing that it was all about the food, but it's about spending time with the people you care about, not what we are putting into our mouths.

Anyway, I hope this helped.

Suzie

Old 26-03-2009, 13:59
I'm still learning....

Hi Jenna!

Welcome to the forum and to Cohens.
It was interesting to see that you are a similar weight to what I was, when I started the programme just over a year ago.
I too was desperate and had considered lap banding when I found out about Cohens. I thank Dr Cohen every day for having been able to loose the weight that I have and for giving us a way of maintaining that does not involve killing ourselves.

Once you get started, you will get into the swing of things, and you will learn to separate your food preparation from the rest of the family. You will also enjoy the triumphs of a shrinking body and how good you get to feel that the weight is dropping off.

I was not too good with eating out, so I tended to avoid it, until I found a place that actually prepared meals with our given food weights. Then I really enjoyed it and was even game occasionally to eat else where based on what I'd learnt while on the programme.

Cohen's is a wonderful learning journey, and while getting to goal is exciting and a great achievement, it is the journey that is the most important and valuable part of it all!

Hope you have a terrific journey to the new you!!

Vee
Old 16-04-2009, 22:59
Part of the Furniture

Talking First official Entry

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I didnt realise that I already had a diary I guess I will put in my first couple of diary entries since I did them on my computer the last two days since starting the program.

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Starting weight 118.8
Total cmís: 1006 (11 measurements)

My first day is complete. I feel such a great sense of accomplishment Ė itís really just one step at a time right now.

I had my first meeting today with Karen at the Geelong clinic and she was absolutely fantastic. I have to say that I love the fact that all of the consultants at the clinic have been through the Cohenís program and have kept the weight off. What great role models!

Karen told me that she too had gone on a full on, take out & fave food binge the week before she went on the program, which made me feel better. I was worried that since I felt the need to do that and have a bit of a binge, that possible I wasnít in the right mental space needed to do this program. However, today I feel better about this after speaking with Karen.

I went to the shops today and got all of my vitamins, fish oil, meat, veg, fruit and crispbreads. Itís actually EASIER to go shopping when you know EXACTLY what you need and youíre not just throwing whatever sounds good to you at the time into the trolley! Not to mention is was SO cheap. Only 150 dollars for about 2 weeks of mealsÖnormally I would have spend that in 1 week just on groceries Ė forget about take-away and restaurant meals!

Lunch was a bit rough, driving while I watched my hubby, Pete chow down hot chips and a chicken sandwich only a foot away from me. Dinner time was the hardest for me. I really wanted to sit down with my family and eat but I just couldnít bring myself to. Pete got pasta, sauce, bread, grapes, bananas from the store. Some of my favourite things that I am NOT allowed to have on the plan. I know these things are not gone forever - which is what is keeping me going cause I could NEVER maintain this for the rest of my life.

I actually got diced chicken breast and eye fillet from the butcher and sat down for about an hour and divided all of the meat into little baggies and labelled them with the grams and meal number and did the same with the veggies. I was actually very surprised at the small amount of veggies we are allowed. I would have thought that it would be big on the veggies, small on the meat.

I have to watch the diet talk with my family, because they are not going to want to hear about it all the time and I need to also make a point to not obsess Ė just DO it.
I followed the plan today food wise precisely. I didnít start early enough with my water though and only got in 2 litres plus two cups of tea. I am going to go for 3 tomorrow since I will make a point to drink with breakfast too.

All in all, it was a challenging day but a good one. The sense of accomplishment is well worth it. Looking in the mirror today I told myself to take one last good look at myself cause Iím not coming back to THIS place again!

Last edited by Jenna; 16-04-2009 at 23:22.
Old 16-04-2009, 23:03
Part of the Furniture

Thursday, 16 April 2009
Day two on the program

Weight: 117.6

Total Loss: 1.2 kilos!

I couldnít help myself when I got on the scales todayÖI was expecting to see a 100-200 gram loss and instead I lost 1.2 kilos! Far out! I actually came out of the bedroom with a smile on my face this morning despite the pounding headache I had Ė my husband made a comment about how nice it was to see me waking up happy.

Once again, dinner is proving to be the hardest. I just had to make dinner for my family and I donít dare sit down to eat with them. I am trying to have a stiff upper lip about the whole thing, but family dinner time has always been my favourite time of the day. Now I have come into my office while they sit out there to eat and I cant help but cry. I feel disconnected from the family. I am hoping with time that I can manage to get myself strong enough so that I can sit with them while they eat and not feel tempted but only two days in the cravings are bad and the desire to be with my family is very strong as well.

I have had a nasty headache all day today and I tripped while putting my daughter into her car seat today, fell off the curb, hit her head on the frame of the car and then quickly pulled her out and fell with all of my weight onto my neck on the car frame. It hurts pretty badly and I still have that killer headache. I mention this because it threw my meal times off as I had to go and lie down since I felt sick from being in pain, didnít eat my lunch until 3pm, so I cannot eat dinner until 8pm. I have to work on getting my meal times better so that maybe I can eat with my family.

I have followed the program exactly as prescribed again today and have drank my 3 litres of water, so an improvement on yesterday with the water aspect.

I am secretly hoping that I will be one of the people who loses 14-15 kilos in the first 4 weeks, but I am trying not to get too attached to the idea Ė I donít want to risk discouragement, which has always been the diet killer for me.

I am ready for bed - it's been over 2 hours since my last meal per the Cohen's rule and I am exhausted and sore from my klutzy encounter with the car today.

Old 17-04-2009, 21:32
I am here for good

Hi Jenna! Finally made my way past your diary! Welcome to the forum!

I think you've discovered the thing that makes it most difficult for a lot of people: food is 'the social thing'. It seems nearly impossible for us to sit down with our friends and family without eating with them. I know how frustrating it is, and how much it hurts that you cannot partake the way you used to. But here's the thing: the most important thing that you need to learn is to change your relationship with food. You need to learn to think of it as fuel, not as a social thing or as the thing that numbs the emotions that you have. Once you are done with the program and reach maintenance, you are not done with your journey. It's a matter of if you return to the way things used to be, you will end up as big as you are now. And trust me, you only want to do this ONCE!

What I'm trying to say is get help with processing and facing the reason behind your eating (like you, I'm a bad emotional eater, and it's only now after I actually started to face some of my old demons that I have been able to have a normal relationship with food and am able to not use it as a crutch) And get in to the habit of sitting down with your family even if you don't eat - maybe with your food and crispbread - and enjoy their company without you having to eat. The first few times will suck beyond the telling of it, but once you realise that you can be with your loved ones and enjoy life without having to eat, your journey will become so much easier!
Sorry about the rant, it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately

100% Cohens Challenge DEVIATION FREE: X 13 and waterwise x3
No matter how hopeless and hard things seem, every day holds the potential of something wonderful happening
Old 17-04-2009, 22:33
Part of the Furniture

Hi Mette,

I hear you loud and clear. I know this is something that I need to do. Earlier tonight, I did it. The family had Subway (with cookies grrr) and I made my meal in the kitchen while they were eating and then sat down half way through their meal and ate with them.

I felt better about it tonight. I just have to get out of that mind set, like you said. Every other way this has been easier than I thought it would be. I actually do not have massive cravings 3 days in like I thought i would. I haven't even touched my allowed soft drink or coffee! (Former soft drink and coffee addict!)

To be perfectly honest, I cannot see myself ever going back to the way I used to eat - which was certainly NOT horrendous by any means, I just a little too much of portions of good food. (I have always loved my lean meats and veg) I also had the occasional restaurant binge or fast food - which I think is where my problem was. I am a total emotional eater - I don't know where it stems from, as I didn't have a traumatic child hood or anything...? Overall I have been pretty lucky in my life - but obesity does run rampant on both sides of my family as well as type 2 diabetes.

I have no idea what causes me to emotionally eat...I wish I knew, or knew how to find out so I can squash it once and for all. How have you figured it out?

I had yet another great, deviation free day and drank my 3 litres of water and I have already lost 2.2 kilos now, which is amazing to me only on day 3!

Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement.

Old 17-04-2009, 23:06
Part of the Furniture

Hi Jenna,
Welcome!! It sounds to me like you are going to do this no problems. You have had a great start. I am looking forward to following your journey and celebrating your losses with you.

Rach

Lost 45 kgs last year and am now back to do some "fine tuning". I am taking control and getting my groove back!!

Old 17-04-2009, 23:07

HI Jenna

A belated welcome to the forum. Cohen's is a wonderful journey where you can learn much about yourself - including why you ate the way you did.

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I cannot see myself ever going back to the way I used to eat - which was certainly NOT horrendous by any means, I just a little too much of portions of good food.
This is very wise - as Mette says - if we go back the way we ate before we will get the same result. Fortunately Cohens does train us well for life in maintenance.

So glad to see the scales moving quickly down. It is great for motivation to get a good , quick result. I hear you about weight watchers - I had a similar result. This way of eating agrees with me so well. People commented on how well I looked long before the weight loss. You sound like you are settling in. I anticipate you will surprise yourself on how strong oyu can be on this programme.

Keep smiling
Shanara
To live my life from a place of deepest love, reflecting this knowing in my outer world as well as my inner world. Living in integrity, with an open heart honouring my agreements with self and others.
Old 18-04-2009, 05:11
I am here for good

There's a Danish saying... 'Injury brings wisdom'. I wish that I had come to the realisations in my previous post while I was still on the program - it would certainly have made maintenance easier! I was lucky enough to catch myself binging a few times and took action before I began putting all the weight back on. That would have been devastating!
I can relate so much to what you're saying! Emotional eating is so hard to deal with, because like you, I have SO many blessings in my life! I couldn't see what would have caused it!
What I did - and I actually only started this a week ago - was to start a diary that was just for me, going through everything in my past, everything that has ever hurt me. What has been the most important thing is writing in an environment where you feel 100% safe so you are completely truthful. I've done it based on some lectures that I got on the net by Geneen Roth as well as some encouragement from a friend who is studying qsychology, and you know, it is one of the hardest things I've ever done, but also one of the best. I never realised how some things affected me. I thought I had dealt with them, but it turns out that I had just buried them. Some of the things are small and trivial, some are pretty big. I think it's important to realise that different people react to different things, so what you thing should be trivial might have affected you deeply.
The other thing that I have found to be immensely important in dealing with the emotional eating is the support network. I have plucked up the courage to show my writings to my fiance and the psycholgy student friend, and have come to the realisation that it is not a weakness to ask for help and more importantly, showing people who I am will not make them leave me. And with the support of the wonderful people in my life, I will beat the emotional eating!
Sorry about the ramble, I'm just so excited about the epiphany that I feel I've had! Especially this: acknowledge yourself! Recognise the fact that you have shown so much courage and determination in embarking on this journey and be proud of yourself for that! It will give your confidence and self esteem a boost, and that will help stopping that emotional eating!

No matter how hopeless and hard things seem, every day holds the potential of something wonderful happening
Old 18-04-2009, 10:02
Part of the Furniture

First of all, I would like to say that I am down another 900g today! Woot!
Makes a total loss of 3.1 kilos with only 3 days completed!!

Thanks, Rach & Shanara for your welcomes. Shanara - I really have surprised myself already how strong I can be! I am amazed at how easily I am sticking to it with very little temptation to deviate. For example, this morning for breakfast - I thought I was allowed a certain amt of cheese with brekkie, but nope! I was only allowed a lesser amt - so normally I would have just left the extra amt in there, telling myself that extra wouldnt make a difference. Today I pulled it out and got it down to the very gram.

I am not going to allow myself to play mind games within anymore as all it does it keep me heavy. I can be very straight-forward with everyone else but when it comes to myself, in my own head I tend to sugar coat things or play games to make myself feel better and that has come to an end. You've heard of "Treat others how you would like to be treated"? Well in my case it's "Treat myself how I treat others" - with respect and honesty!!

Mette - Thank you so much for sharing how you have started to overcome your emotional eating. I may try doing the same thing. I have had many blips on the radar of bad events in my life, but compared to what some people go through I consider myself to be very lucky and very blessed. I guess I just need to go back and re-visit those past traumas and work them out instead of burying them.

I also have given myself praise for going on this diet and making the right step forward, and to committing myself 100%. I can honestly say I have never been so determined on a diet program not to deviate. I suppose because this diet makes it so that you really CAN'T deviate unless you want to slow your progress!

Last edited by Jenna; 18-04-2009 at 20:52.
Old 18-04-2009, 18:42
I am here for good

It's all about having your mind in the right place, then this program makes it easy! I think it's also easier to stick to because you see consistent and constant results. It's not something that will take years and years. I think it was ConnieK who went to the gym and had such a low calorie diet for years and years, but it wasn't until Cohens that she started getting good results.

You're doing really well, Jenna! Just one thing: You need to edit your previous post, because we're not allowed to specify our allowances. We don't want 'outsiders' being able to get specific measurements, because the program it developed for you personally and it could have bad consequences for their health if they followed your program.

Stay strong and keep smiling!

Old 18-04-2009, 20:58
Part of the Furniture

Thanks, Mette!

I didn't know that you couldn't mention one measurement! I went back and changed it. My little example sounds more confusing now but that's okay - I certainly don't want to break any rules!

Yeah I have tried so many diets over and over and tried eating healthy, going to the gym with friends, etc. I lived with a friend, worked with her and went to the gym with her - we ate, drank and worked out exactly the same (3 hrs a night) for 3 months. She lost over 15 kilos and I lost about 3!!! Talk about frustrating!

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement and also for the heads up on not mentioning any measurements!

Tags
admin , diary , forum , hold , jenna