New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > Discussion on Cohen's Lifestyle programme

Notices

Old 24-10-2010, 16:10
Feeling more at home

Smile Any tips to help with eating out?

Hi everyone

My partner and I are new to Cohen's. We are at day 8 and going strong. We both really want to make it work. Our problem is we both have to eat out a lot for work. This week we are eating out twice: once at an italian restaurant and the other at a private home. We would love any tips or advice.

Kate
Old 24-10-2010, 16:36

Default Re: Any tips to help with eating out?

Howdy
if you search the forum useing the search tool at the top you will find that this has been discussed many times
yes it is possible, you can ask chefs and friends alike to prepare your meals as you want them
it is imperative that you follow your program , do not guesstimate or substitue
if it is not permitted it is forbidden
I must say- fantastic job that requires youto eat out- I trust an expense account is attached
cheers
mark

Start- 184.9kg, Goal 84.9 Current 84.3kg Centimetres lost: 248
New Goals
to get yacht built- Blog here if interested
http://the-making-of-didiki.blogspot.com/
Looking good, feeling good. If I wasn't so busy I'd date myself
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance
Wherever you go, you will still be there
Old 24-10-2010, 16:39
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Hi Kate. I lost 27kgs on cohens with half my meals being restaurant meals as my job also involves lots of travel and dining out. Some cohenites phone ahead and give restaurants very specific instructions and other even take their own food. I have never done either, I just make the most cohen friendly choice I can off the menu. Doing this means its not always 100% accurate for weight and sometimes a few ingredients may slip in that I was not aware of but mostly it has worked quite well for me. I choose carefully mostly going for the steak, fish or chicken options with salads, sometimes you can just get something like fish with asparagus. You need to be prepared to leave food on your plate when it is too much and ask them to hold the potatoes, chips etc. Dining in someone elses home is a much harder proposition unless its a barbeque which can be perfect. If you have a good relationship with them you might be able to ring ahead and explain the situation and perhaps even offer to bring something that will help to ease the situation.

Good luck with your choices. You have made a great decision in joining this program - stick to it and you will be overjoyed witht he results!

Louise

Just trying to fine tuning my maintenance!!
Old 24-10-2010, 19:01
Feeling more at home

Smile Re: Any tips to help with eating out?

Thanks Louise, These are great tips. I will ring the italian restaurant as their food is usually quite creamy and they may need to do something special. Cheers kate

Kate
Old 24-10-2010, 19:09
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

Often italian restaurants have steak and fish dishes!

Just trying to fine tuning my maintenance!!
Old 24-10-2010, 21:44

They also have kitchen scales and if you are paying restaurant prices they should be prepared go deliver a dish to specification- I have never had a problem with this and have never had to estimate
cheers
mark

Start- 184.9kg, Goal 84.9 Current 84.3kg Centimetres lost: 248
New Goals
to get yacht built- Blog here if interested
http://the-making-of-didiki.blogspot.com/
Looking good, feeling good. If I wasn't so busy I'd date myself
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance
Wherever you go, you will still be there
Old 24-10-2010, 23:02
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I have both phoned ahead and taken my own meals. We eat out once a month with friends at usually small, cheap ethnic restaurants that really don't cater for Cohenites. I used to take my chicken nuggets (recipe here: http://newyouforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4829) and eat them from a bag on my lap. If you are discrete it's amazing how no one notices what you eat in a restaurant, they are all so busy stuffing their own faces.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 25-10-2010, 09:35
I am here for good

Kate if you can pre arrange that is the best way to go but if I was faced with not being able to, I chose steak - why? Because they usually put the weight of it on the menu. So it gave me a better idea how much to leave behind.

Is it possible to go to the same restaurants all the time? If so you could make an arrangement with them to have a specific Kate meal they do for you - steak and asparagus is dead easy for them to weigh and prepare.

If you are going to be eating out all the time you really should try to make the restaurants cater for you - they do it for people with allergies all the time and provided you phone ahead they shouldn't mind. If they do, go somewhere else!!

Let us know how you go

Start 91kg on 5 December 2009 Started Maintenance 64.3kg on 15 July 2010
Goal to be under 3kg of maintenance start weight on the 15th of every month
Maintenance mantra: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!
I'M BERRYLICIOUS! x 6
Old 25-10-2010, 09:44
I am here for good

Oh just another Few thoughts to add to this:

Eating out in this way is really only for people who have absolutely no choice eg: because of work - the old "don't try this at home". If out with friends, BYO food or eat first and just have a coffee. Social gatherings are not an excuse to eat off plan regularly

And Kate you need to be aware that if your food is not weighed then you may well experience slower weight loss than if it was weighed exactly according to plan.

Start 91kg on 5 December 2009 Started Maintenance 64.3kg on 15 July 2010
Goal to be under 3kg of maintenance start weight on the 15th of every month
Maintenance mantra: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!
I'M BERRYLICIOUS! x 6
Old 02-11-2010, 23:57
Feeling more at home

Thanks everyone. We phoned ahead to the italian restaurant with weights and ingredients. They were great and served a yummy meal. We will definately preorder again.

Kate

Tags
eating , tips