New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Starting and Running > NEW MEMBERS... Start here!

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 14:34
Feeling more at home

Default Goal Weight & Maintenance.. tools for LIFE?

hello.. just a question in regards to how they say once you have completed maintenance you then have the tools for life.
Does this mean that if you DO put on some weight you can just get back on your program again and lose the weight? Im talking like if you put on just a few kgs.... or if you went back on your program to lose those KGs you would then have to do maintenance all over again? jsut a little curious as i have notice there are a few people here that do cohens 2, 3 odd times.. is this cos maintenance wasnt done?
I guess i ask cos i only have 8kgs to lose... i will then do my maintenance but when i got on holidays etc... does it then ALL come back on again??
Old 08-02-2013, 15:40
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary
Default Re: Goal Weight & Maintenance.. tools for LIFE?

Hi Buzz,

It seems many think of Plan as being "the only tool" and seem to use it to recapture all of the good feelings associated with their earlier path.

In this thread :-
http://newyouforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6408
... they talk more of other tools that you get prior to, and during Refeed, and on the lead-up to Maintenance. Jlou in particular makes some really good points abouot "other options" along with a number of other maintainers. Go check it out....

Quote:
is this cos maintenance wasnt done?
I guess i ask cos i only have 8kgs to lose... i will then do my maintenance but when i got on holidays etc...
I think (blue bits) you are referring to Refeed, aren't you?

Quote:
does it then ALL come back on again??
THAT would depend on just how much they embrace the Cohens Lifestyle !! For some, who didn't have much to lose initially, the chance of "putting it all on again" is much lower (imho).

But for those who lost a lot, the lessons learned during Refeed and early Maintenance need to be taken on board. e.g. MANY find that one bite of a food with SUGAR can lead to an uncontrollable frenzy. Others find that other carbs can have them gain. A few (very few) even find they CAN'T mix proteins EVER without gaining. Refeed will give you indications of what upsets YOUR body. Take heed of those, and you will do fine.

In the end, this is a "Lifestyle change" to keep you in the pink. Apply the lessons, and you will likely spend a lifetime within the Normal BMI range.

Koh
Old 08-02-2013, 15:54
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Thanks koh

It is the first time I have read the whole program explained properly I was sort of wondering aswell.

Get lots of sleep. Get sunshine. Laugh. Go outside and play. Avoid grains and sugar like the plague.
Started 3 January 2013 92.5kg's
Finished re feed 27 May 2013 54.1kg's
Maintaining is a work in progress
Old 08-02-2013, 19:57
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

I guess I'm a prime example of what you're asking about.

I'm on my third time. I fell pregnant within four weeks os starting the first time and had to stop. I then lost over 50kg in 2007. I felt fantastic, was at my lowest adult weight ever and had a whole new lease on life. However I didn't embrace the need for this to be a full lifestyle change. I just thought my body would forevermore be able to stay slim so the odd indulgence saw my weight go up and up and I kept thinking I'd be fine.... I could restart any time. Well, time got away from me and by 2012 I had regained the whole lot.

I'm now working on my headspace. I see a lifestyle coach once a month to help me sort why I eat, when I eat, strategies to cope with the danger triggers etc. I am involved with this forum way more than ever. I have come to realise that I will forever be addicted to sugar and carbs are not kind to my body. I will never be able to eat the biscuits and cake I used to. The occasional treat will have to be just that... Occasional. I know that one little bit of anything can set me off on a sugar binge.

I need to embrace all the maintenance guidelines for the rest of my life which I never did properly. I thought I knew better than the good doctor.

Whilst there is a part of me the mourns the loss of many of these foods, I also know how well I feel, how much energy I have and how my family and work are benefitting!

So... Embrace this as a lifestyle and you will never have to regret your choices. Get help to sort out why you overeat.... Physical causes or mental causes... And make sure you understand that our bodies are NOT designed to process the chemicals and sugar that are in the modern diet. The body is capable of healing and regenerating itself but only with the right fuel. Clean fresh foods work best in the amazing machines that are our bodies.

Hope this helps explain things a little.

I'm MANGOIFICENT and WATERWISE!!! X2

Tags
goal , life , maintenance , tools , weight