New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > Discussion on Cohen's Lifestyle programme

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 14:53
Shimmying to skinny-ness!

Default Why aren't our programmes adjusted as we lose weight?

Hello everyone

My husband (also on Cohens) and I are a bit stumped on this question: Why is it that our food allowances aren't reduced as we lose weight?

My nutritional requirements at my start weight are surely different from the present when I'm 10kg lighter, and the amount of food I can consume in order to be losing weight must have changed as well. If that is so, shouldn't I be eating LESS food than that originally specified for me?

My losses were quite good to begin with, but have slowed down considerably of late. I'm still 4kg away from the upper end of my Cohens goal weight and 6kg away from the lower end, so I have quite a bit more of this journey to travel.

Would appreciate any thoughts/insights!

Original weight - 69kg on 13 August 2008
Started Refeed at 53kg on 16 November 2008
Completed Refeed at 53kg on 4 December 2008

And back on Cohens in June 2014 after two pregnancies/ babies!

Old 06-10-2008, 15:34
Feeling more at home

Excellent question! One I'm sure I had meant to ask after my first blood tests, but didn't. Am looking forward to any good responses on this one!

If You Want To Play With The Big Dogs, You Can't Pee Like A Puppy!!

Started 1 July 2008
ZERO DEVIATION!!
100% Commitment!
http://singapore-slim.blogspot.com/
Old 06-10-2008, 15:39
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Whilst I cant really answer the question I can say that from day one to the end for me I constantly lost weight so long as I did not over do it - I do think your body gets in and uses the fat that you have stored as fuel and does not rely wholly on the amount of food you put in your mouth.

I would suspect that you really eat the set amount to maintain your nutrition and satisfaction levels and to stop your body going into starvation mode as well.

The main thing is that it works and it works very well I lost 77 kg in 40 weeks so I defiantly did not want any one changing one little bit of my plan - and why fix it if it is not broken - you must understand that your body does need to adjust and if you are unhappy with your weight loose you really should talk to your clinic who may have some suggestions or clue as to why it has slowed.

Andy
Old 06-10-2008, 15:52
I'm Committed - Or I should be!

I am pleased that they dont adjust the food as it is such small quanltities that I would not want to eat less. Everyone continues to lose weight throughout, it is probably based on our thin (basal) self within perhaps rather than the size we are when we start the program. It works so Im happy

Just trying to fine tuning my maintenance!!
Old 06-10-2008, 18:01
Been here forever!!! - Ask me Anything !!

My NYF Diary

Hi Francesca,

I tend to think this is to do with your "core body" i.e. when starting out, your frame is that of a (say) 55Kg person, with a "fat coat" on top of it.

So, Doc Cohen "feeds" that core body, enough to keep it satisfied, and things in balance, but NOT enough to power someone of (say) 80Kgs - so the fat is used to generate your daily needs over and above the 800 calories provided by the food. Thus, the weight comes off.

You need to feed that "core body" the same all the way through !! It doesn't change.... so neither should the food.

And, hey, I'm guessing - but it seems logical to me.... Am I right? Dunno - but others will, I'm sure,

Koh
Old 06-10-2008, 21:17
On my way - To a new me.

Koh's answer makes sense to me....

Old 06-10-2008, 22:55
Goddess

I've often wondered this too, but, I absolutely believe what Koh said about 'feeding the core body'.

Keep in mind that Dr Cohen doesn't take your starting weight into account when he writes your programme, I know that sometimes the clinic doesn't have the starting weight of a client until after the programme is ordered, and the programme still arrives just fine. So, I don't believe the starting weight is taken into account which makes Koh's theory all the more likely.

asy.

Started: 4th July, 06 (MY independence day!) ... Finished: July 2, 2007 ... 88kg lost in 12 months
Don't annoy me... I just learned the Bat Bogey Hex...
Old 07-10-2008, 01:18
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

It's the most logical explanation I've heard and it makes 100% good sense as well. We know what we need for our goal weight and that is what we are given for subsistence. All else required is obtained through the fat burning process. I think he deliberately keeps us "Just above" starvation mode. That's why the admonishment against exercising. Exercising will upset the delicate balance he has created by balancing your homones, serotonin & insulin output. The exercise could topple the balance and send the body into starvation mode where you stop burning fat and stop losing weight and start consuming muscle as the body is saying store fat we're starving!.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33
Shimmying to skinny-ness!

Thank you all for your replies.

I think Koh's reasoning makes a lot of sense. Koh: I especially like how you explained the concepts in terms of a "core body" and a "fat coat"!

I went in to see my consultant today and she explained that the food allowances we are given at the very start represent the "minimum" required for our bodies to get to our respective goal weights. It would be foolish to go below this level, and this level does not need adjusting because Dr Cohen has taken our goal weights into account when fixing the allowance.

Which I guess is roughly the same thing as what Koh was describing! And asy's piece of the puzzle - that the clinic doesn't need to know our start weights when formulating our programmes - fits in very nicely as well.

Original weight - 69kg on 13 August 2008
Started Refeed at 53kg on 16 November 2008
Completed Refeed at 53kg on 4 December 2008

And back on Cohens in June 2014 after two pregnancies/ babies!

Old 28-05-2011, 17:20

My NYF Diary
Default Re: Why aren't our programmes adjusted as we lose weight?

Thought this was worth a "bump" - with many newcomers around....

Koh
Old 29-05-2011, 12:53
Feeling more at home

How can one program at one point of your life be suitable for your hormone profile for the rest of the program? After all don't they say don't follow other peoples programs as they are personalised to your hormone profile. How can than be as your profile changes during the course of the program... It really doesn't matter as I know the program works. I am beyond the point for trying to figure it out, everyone gets results if they stick to the rules and the food, I don't think the 5-20 grms difference between peoples programs makes a difference.
Old 27-08-2011, 23:11

My NYF Diary

Hi Karol,

I agreed with everything you said, until this bit:-
Quote:
I don't think the 5-20 grms difference between peoples programs makes a difference.
And I would simply caution any others reading that those "5-20gms" differences can make a HUGE difference - particularly if they are 5-20gms TOO LITTLE for your frame. That is when one could "step over the starvation line" - at worst, this could lead to possible health problems for some...... At best, you would lose "the zone", and have this path seem so much harder, as your body would be in stress.

e.g. The "zone" comes to the fore when you are receiving ENOUGH food - just enough. Upsetting this balance via deviations is where some end up falling right off the Bus.

On the subject of "using other people's programs", I suspect some Plans include (or, more importantly, exclude) certain food types depending on the initial blood test. So, let's say two girls are same height, weight, age, and shoe size - would they get the same program? THey "could be"...

But wait.... WHAT IF one girl bought the program, and the other "scabbed a copy" Even though amounts MIGHT be similar, what if that second girl was affected by certain food types (which would have shown up in a blood test, but she didn't bother, and just "copied" the other plan).

Could it be that some foods which were OK for girl #1 are DEFINITELY NOT OK for Girl #2? I don't know - but the thought adds weight to the argument "DON'T use anyone else's Plan". And it is not only to do with food amounts !!

This Cohens Plan is far more scientific than I am able to understand, but then, I don't need to, and neither do you.

As others have commented in many places, it is the DIFFERENCE of food amounts and types (per person) that seems to have it work as efficiently as it does.

Tamper with it at your peril...

Koh

Last edited by Kohinoor; 16-06-2012 at 16:41.
Old 29-08-2011, 13:28
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

I agree with Koh that Dr Cohen starts with the 'end in mind'. He sets us an amount for our 'thin' body and not for our fat body. That's the amount of food ultimately what our optimal weight requires. So, there's no need to adjust food. As the fats are being drawn out from the programme, we'll be left with 'no loss' at the end despite the same amount of food.
23 Feb START: Goal 1: 79.9kg9Mar|Goal 2: 75kg5APR| Goal 3: 69.9kg5MAY|Goal 4:65kg9Jun|Goal 5:59.9kg23Jul| Goal 6: 55kg01Sep|Goal 7:Refeed@53kg|End Refeed@54.7kg
I'm MANGOIFICENT X6 and WATERWISE!!! X5
Old 17-10-2011, 20:05

My NYF Diary

Hi all,

I stumbled over this thread tonight, and wanted to add a wee bit more.

First, I wanted to say that Louise41 seemed to have the answer right upfront (commenting about our "thin basal selves"). Makes sense to me.

But then, I thought a bit more about Karol's comment :-
Quote:
How can one program at one point of your life be suitable for your hormone profile for the rest of the program?
And the thought I wanted to add was this - I have noticed that older people seem to get MORE food on this Plan than younger ones. So, Karol's comment may well be valid IF it took you 5 years, or 10, to reach your goal.

But, it DOESN'T !!

And, since Dr Cohen DOES receive "Age, sex, height, and shoe size" and not much else except the blood test results, I reckon he is on top of YOUR requirements from day one. As Asy said, "Some Plans are written even BEFORE your starting weight is known!" Seems that is NOT any kind of requirement, as it really is all about (in Louise's words) your "basal self" - or, in my words, your "core body".

Keep that part going well, and use the excess fat to "perambulate you" (i.e. give you energy to move) as you shrink. Also, consider SMS's comment re "the balance created" by NOT exercising, or introducing exercise if it wasn't done prior, is worth some thought.

I love stumbling over old, good threads that can shine a light. Hope this has happened for YOU today

Koh

Last edited by Kohinoor; 19-10-2011 at 17:56.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:48
It's up to ME!

I had asked this question after my second blood test........"why isn't the food quantities adjusted as we go further into the plan"? and if no adjustment then why do we have to have a blood test every month?" I was told by my consultant that the blood test results are used by Dr. Cohen to formulate our refeed schedule once we had reached our goal. I don't really care one way or the other. This works and I'm sticking to it!!!

1st Goal 80 kg done (18-11-09)
2nd Goal 70kg done ( 28-01-10)
3rd Goal 60kg done (19-4-10) Now the REAL battle is to maintain. Its NEVER over!! Still battling!

Take-2 Goal: 62-65 kilos
Start: 74.4 kilos 1-1-2013
Finish: 63 kilos 5-6-2013

Take-3 Goal: 65 kilos
Start: 82 kilos 5-6-2014
FINISH ???
Old 25-07-2012, 13:20

My NYF Diary

Bump (which is shorthand for "This is a really good thread - go back to the start and read it all")....

Koh

Tags
adjusted , lose , programmes , weight