New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Starting and Running > NEW MEMBERS... Start here!

Notices

Old 20-09-2012, 23:54
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary
Red face 15 kgs to lose

Hi everyone! Been lurking in this forum for the past couple of weeks, and will be dropping by the clinic here in Manila, Philippines, this coming Saturday to enroll in the program & get my blood test before leaving for a very short trip out of the country. I'm hoping to begin the program immediately after I get back (about a week after)!!!

I've read all those amazing success stories & am keen to be among the successful losers!

I need to lose about 15 kgs. I am only 4 feet 11 inches but currently weigh 129 lbs. When I visited the Cohen clinic & had an initial consultation, I was told my healthy weight is supposed to be between 97-103 lbs. The last time I was 98 lbs was back in college (I'm now 32 years old).

I was overweight back in HS and suffered from low self esteem. I suffered from bulimia and hated how I looked. When I reached college, I lost a lot of weight. My lifestyle became quite unhealthy: I drank alcohol quite a lot, smoked heavily, ate all sorts of fat and carbs. This went on until three years ago, when I started experiencing symptoms such as palpitations, dizziness and chest pains...

I thought for sure it had something to do with my heart but examinations (thyroid, blood tests, stress tests, 2D echo) came out negative, which at first was a relief, but with the continuing symptoms, I thought I was going crazy! I even resorted to seeing a shrink bec one doctor said it was all in my head!

Anyway, to cut the story short, they eventually found out that the chest pains, palpitations & other symptoms were all caused by acid reflux.

I was put on medication for my GERD. I also quit drinking caffeine and alcohol. I quit smoking (thank God for that!). I started to gain weight at an alarming rate. But I couldn't turn back.

Being fat didn't help my GERD any so I started to exercise, went on diets like Atkin's and South Beach, even went vegetarian for a while... I lost weight but I gained it back plus more! Took up yoga, paired it with boxing... was exercising like mad... none worked. By the time I got married in April 2011, I was almost 140 lbs! It was really sad to have worn a lovely wedding gown from one of my favorite designers, big as I was

Last year, I had a routine blood test which showed I am borderline diabetic (diabetes runs in my family). My doctor urged me to go on a diet. This got me into a panic. I drastically lowered my carb intake (stopped eating rice altogether) and started eating more vegetables and proteins. At first I refused to eat carbs at all, but started feeling weak, so went back to eating bread. I also went back to the gym and took up running. After a year of doing this, I lost some lbs and am now in my current weight of 129. I'm thankful to have lost weight, but I feel it's taking too slow.

I want to regain my peace of mind & get healthier by reaching my goal weight and stabilizing my blood sugar to avoid becoming diabetic. And I need to do it now, so that I can prepare for a healthy, complication-free pregnancy next year.

Is there anyone here looking to lose about the same amount of weight as me? It seems 15kgs isn't as high as others' targets. But I also read that the smaller the target loss, the slower the rate of loss. How true is this and how fast (or slow) should I expect to lose?

I have rambled on! Sorry about that!!! I do hope to hear from a kind soul. Reading all your stories made me feel that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:06
Feeling more at home

Default Re: 15 kgs to lose

Hi Talespin! Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you have been through quite a lot over the years with your weight-loss journey! I think cohen's well definitely be the light at the end of tunnel, if that makes sense!

I'm no expert by any means but from my own experience(s) and going by what I know of other peoples stories, you lose weight very quickly in the beginning - regardless of how much or little you have to lose. Having said that it obviously depends on your current diet, lifestyle, etc etc, but generally it all goes away fairly quick! (Still at a healthy rate, of course!) It is true that smaller amounts can be harder to shift, but this is *usually* when a big amount has already been lost... ie. someone with 50kgs to lose, their losses might slow down when they reach the last 10kg, and someone with only 10kg to shift might find it slows with the last 4kg. Keeping in mind, when weightloss 'slows' with cohens, it's still moving quite rapidly!! That's why we're advised to only weigh ourselves once a month, so we get a more accurate account

Oh wow I've babbled on a bit haha. Hope I've been able to shed some light! Enjoy your trip and BEST OF LUCK getting started This forum is a great asset and there will always be someone around to help out with any questions/queries/motivation you might need

Look forward to following your journey! XO
Old 23-09-2012, 23:23
On my way - To a new me.

Hi Talespin.

Wow! What a colourful background you have there in health and weight loss. I think this programme will be the last one you ever try! The benefits in how great you'll feel will amaze you and turn your life around! Good luck with your first week!

Make sure you start up a diary when you receive your programme then we can follow your journey and support you along your way.
Old 28-09-2012, 00:00
Feeling more at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by talespin View Post
Is there anyone here looking to lose about the same amount of weight as me? It seems 15kgs isn't as high as others' targets. But I also read that the smaller the target loss, the slower the rate of loss. How true is this and how fast (or slow) should I expect to lose?
I have almost the same amount to lose as you. The first month, I lost about 5.5 kilos, no deviation, simple meals. Then it slowed down to 2 kgs every 2.5 weeks, probably because I became more active and was sleeping less. Although my weight loss has slowed down, I'm down two dress sizes, from large to smalll. My pants are loosier, my face leaner, and my stomach muscles are coming out.

My advice, just trust the program, drink lots of water, sleep more and relax. Let the magic of the program do its work.

Good luck, start a diary to record your journey.

Old 28-09-2012, 08:33
Faith is the first step

My NYF Diary

Hi Talespin, you will find most of us have had similar diet experiences, ie tried soooo many and none of it really works. I have just under 15 to lose now. Good luck, hope your program arrives quickly!

To be truly enlightened is to embrace diversity...

Do or do not...there is no try
Old 01-10-2012, 10:52
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary

Thank you for all your answers, SallyG, Riss, Milena & Ciers! Yes, this has been quite a rollercoaster ride for me, health wise. ) Anyway, I've enrolled in the program and am waiting for the results of my blood test (not too worried about this as I've had one taken just two months ago & doubt it would change much). I was advised to give the center 7-14 working days - almost 3 weeks! The wait is gonna be a struggle! Wish I could start sooner. I immediately left for a short vacation after my blood tests, so I can keep my attention averted for the meantime. Just returned & am itching to start )

Milena, your experience sounds promising! I hope I get the same results!
Old 01-10-2012, 20:43
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

You are going to love Cohens. And you will feel so much better the weight loss is a bonus to feeling healthy. I Will follow you and will enjoy reading about how well you go. Enjoy and touch base on this forum often, it's such a motivator.

100% Cohens Challenge DEVIATION FREE: x1

Make a Change
and
Make it Happen.
Old 01-10-2012, 21:10
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

Welcome back and enjoy the ride once you get your plan. Hope it's not much longer!

I'm MANGOIFICENT and WATERWISE!!! X2
Awesome post - A Thank You from :-
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary

Thanks, toothfairy & Dezzy! I will return as soon as I receive my program. Here in the Philippines, I was told we have to wait about 14 working days before we receive our program. It's been 8 days so far ' I'm getting fidgety!
Old 08-10-2012, 20:00
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary

Great news! Got a call from the center this morning and my plan is ready for pick-up tomorrow! No turning back now!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 22:50
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

Excellent news. No turning back now!

I'm MANGOIFICENT and WATERWISE!!! X2
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary

Finally got my Eating Program, did some reading & clarifications, shopped, weighed & planned my meals until Sunday. Hope this works!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37
Trial & Feedback ...

My NYF Diary

Hey TS ... this WILL work for you as long as you put in a bit of effort in food preparation. I lost over 55kg - proof that Dr Cohen knows what he's on about.

Happy losing.
JC

Old 11-10-2012, 15:33
Feeling more at home

My NYF Diary

Good job, JayCee!! Now if I could go your route, I'd be very, very happy I can't wait to get on your side of the train!

Started a diary in this forum just to have an account of my progress.

Heaviest Weight: 140 lbs (64 kgs)
Starting Weight: 129 lbs (59 kgs)
Goal Weight: 99-106 lbs (45-48 kgs)
Old 01-04-2013, 19:55
Part of the Furniture

I know this was a few months ago but girls with <15kg to lose how did you go? Was your weight loss fast? ABout to start and have 15kg to lose

Old 01-04-2013, 20:18
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

My NYF Diary

I lost my 20kg in less than 4 months and I had slow losses (send are faster than others) and a few s hiccups on the way for various reasons !!! I'm now in maintenance... have maintained for a month now. This is just the beginning for me.

Good Luck you'll love it !!!

Eating plan begins: 25 September 2012, 74.8kg
Refeed begins: 11 Feb 2013, 54.9kg
Maintenance begins: 2 March 2013, 54.9kg

Old 02-04-2013, 04:24
I'm new, please be nice to me.

Hey!! I'm from the Philippines too
Message me so we can talk<3 six-3-nine-nine-nine-9-nine-8-nine-nine-6-7
yan number ko

Tags
diabetes , gerd , health , kgs , lose