New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > Discussion on Cohen's Lifestyle programme

Notices

Old 14-08-2008, 10:26
I'm new, please be nice to me.

Default Only a little to lose?

Hi all, I am contemplating the program but I only want to lose 6-8kgs. Do you think this is possible and is the program suitable for small weight loss?

Many thanks.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:47
still around

As far as I knoe Karen it will work, may not have the huge losses more overweight people experience in the first few weeks, but you would still be at goal in a few weeks.
The program makes you feel great.
Goodluck with what ever you decide.
tara x
Old 14-08-2008, 11:24
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Hi Karen

Yes, this program is suitable for small weight losses but you may want to search for a thread on this forum about pre cohen's. A number of people have followed these guidelines while waiting for their plans and lost heaps of weight.

Given that the amount of weight you want to lose is not a lot, pre cohen's may be enough for you and it doesn't seem like you would have an issue with maintaining your weight as you're not too far from your goal.

It just seems like a bit of overkill to me for you to pay for the works and only spend a month doing it.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say though.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Louise

"Just follow the plan, maintain your new habits and you will be rewarded!"
Old 14-08-2008, 11:54
Part of the Furniture

Hi Karen

I reckon you should do the full program, not just the pre-Cohens. The reason is as follows:

A lot of people are not in equilibrium with their hormones, most noteably insulin. The 100% program resets that, and hence after you've finished, it's much easier to maintain.

When I signed up for a program, there was a girl who was really thin, but she said she was struggling with staying slim, did lots of sports. The kind of person who although she did not eat a lot, and exercised, struggled to keep weight off. So her equilibrium was out of whack.

She was advised that she should go on Cohens and that it would re-set her equilibrium. So in other words what you can hope to gain from going on the program is not just a weight loss, but also a re-setting which will enable you to eat well and not struggle again. If it was just for the weight loss, off course 6 to 8 kilos could be done by pre-program, but if you want to get all balanced, then I'd do the program.

According to Cohens I had between 8 and 10 to loose. I actually did loose about 15, and am glad I did, cos at his weight range I still carried quite a lot of fat!

So I think it's worth doing the whole program!

Katrin

Old 16-08-2008, 13:07
Shimmying to skinny-ness!

Wink

Hi Katrin

I think I have about the same weight as you had to lose - around 14-15kg. Am really looking forward to the journey! I get my programme next week.

Can I just ask how long it took you to lose the weight? Have heard that people with less weight to lose may take longer to reach the goal.

I'm just wondering if there's any chance of looking good by Christmas!

Original weight - 69kg on 13 August 2008
Started Refeed at 53kg on 16 November 2008
Completed Refeed at 53kg on 4 December 2008

And back on Cohens in June 2014 after two pregnancies/ babies!

Old 16-08-2008, 20:29
Part of the Furniture

Hi Francesca

I started on September 1 last year and finished re-feed one or two days before Xmas. My goal weight was 62 to 65, but I decided to go to 57.5, and the last 4 kilos took forever, but were worth it.

Cheers

Katrin

Old 16-08-2008, 23:29
On my way - To a new me.

hi
i would check out pre cohens i lost 19kg while saving for my program

starting date 5/6/08 weight 109.8/1st goal under 100kg.reached 1.7.08 2nd goal under 90kg reached 16.8.08 3rd goal under 80.reached 12.1.09 4th goal under 70.
Old 17-08-2008, 00:25
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

Francesca,

Welcome aboard! I see you got my PM on the other board and found your way here with no problems. As I said, we are VERY ACTIVE here!

Matter of fact, this board becomes a habit! Remember what I said on the other board though. You will have all the encouragement and support you could ever want her. But we will tell you "straight on your face" when you are goofing up. (Though you would like the wee bit of local patios there. )

SMS
The "New" Stallion
Old 17-08-2008, 00:38
On my way - To a new me.

I would talk to the clinic as you have to have a certain amount to loose before they except you, I'm not sure how much but chat with them anyway. Also what we think we need to loose and what Dr cohens says can be quiet varied. It is really up to you is the $750 for the whole program including re feed etc worth it for you or not? There is no point starting and not completing it the whole way, including refeed and maintenance. Cohen's is NO silver bullet!! it works if you work the program 100% to the end.

I think it's worth it for me and so I am doing it. Only you can truly tell whether it is worth it for your situation.

Sx

Began 11 July 08
"You are not behind, just jump in where you are" flylady
it's all for me and my family
Old 17-08-2008, 01:49
On my way - To a new me.

Default Do it

Hi

I think you should do the proper programme.

Even though I have less to lose then most people on this programme, I felt it necessary to do this to stop a life time of yo-yo dieting that was lying ahead of me. With Cohens it all is reset and you get a new start.
And I have always wanted to be skinny!!

Take care
H

2nd time on Cohens!

Old 17-08-2008, 02:19

Hi Katrin

Thanks for the information! Yes, I have heard that for some people, the initial loss is rapid, but that the true challenge comes in after that, when the rate of loss is a lot slower.

Hi SMS

Thanks for the welcome! For some reason, your PM directed me to the SG Expats forum - was there something on that board you wanted me to see? I did a search for "Cohen" but that didn't turn up much. Haha, is it "straight on your face"? I thought people said, "straight IN your face". Based on what I've read in the threads so far, people are generally very encouraging and supportive. I think you are the resident disciplinarian in this part of the woods!

Man, I really cannot wait to get started. Am going to ring up the Cohen people first thing on Monday morning and ask whether my plan has arrived!

Old 17-08-2008, 03:02
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

must have copied the wrong link properties (use Firefox with multiple tabs) sorry about that. At least you found us anyway. In or On your face? (My wife tends to say "On your face" so I've just gotten used to her version of Singlish. I know the proper way would be "in your face" hence my comment on the local patois.

Disciplinarian? Nah, I just try to keep it real. You will notice that Andy does the same. Maybe that's the difference between us guys and you gals. That is my favourite banana!
Old 17-08-2008, 21:12

Hi sms

Well, someone has to dish out the tough love, I suppose!

Old 19-08-2008, 09:01
On my way - To a new me.

I don't think that SMS is the tough love guy I think we all see the old man in the rocking chair and get scared be for we even read his posts.... It's a picture of an old man that you don't want to reckon with... I think the picture makes us "think" his the disciplinarian reflexing on those we knew as children who were older and we were kind of afraid of. As you grow you realise that they hold the most gems of life then us all.

I think its a conspiracy

Began 11 July 08
"You are not behind, just jump in where you are" flylady
it's all for me and my family
Old 20-08-2008, 15:31
On my way - To a new me.

According to the goal weight calculations they did for me, I have 13kgs to lose... and the consultants suggested that I do sign up for the entire program for the reasons already mentioned by Katrin.

If I thought it was just a sales pitch, I wouldn't spend the money. BUT I firmly do believe in the premise behind Cohen's and I do believe that with the right commitment it could be the strict intervention I need to break a lifetime of yo-yo dieting.

For me, rightly or wrongly... the financial commitment will also help my will power. $750 is a lot of money for me, and I see this as an investment in myself.
Old 31-08-2008, 18:27

Default slower rates for little loss?

I am wondering if the weight loss on Cohens is a lot slower for people with less to lose? I keep reading about amazing levels of weight loss for people with 30 or > kgs to lose, but my friends and I (we each have about 10-15kg to lose) have noticed that our loss has been a lot slower - maybe 1 to 1.5kg a week?

It may still be too early to say for sure, as I've only completed about a week on Cohens (lost 1.5kg), but I can feel the loss rate slowing down somewhat and I'm worried that I may hit a plateau only a couple of weeks into the programme.

Would love to hear from people who had 20kg or less to lose! What was your experience and weight loss pattern on Cohens?

Old 31-08-2008, 18:53
I am here for good

Hi Francesca,
What weigh loss plan have you been on and lost 1-1.5kg a week!
That is a great rate of loss.
Your body will lose at a rate that is healthy for YOU.
Shell

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!
Old 31-08-2008, 20:09
On my way - To a new me.

Default Hi

Hi Francesca

I started precohens at 77kg
I started official Cohens at 72kg
I had 13kg's to lose:
Started 5 Aug
End of first week: lost 3.4
End of 2nd week: lost 1.3
End of 3rd week: lost 1.7
End of 4th week: i think 1.2 (will confirm on Tuesday)

So, My initial loss was fast, but it might take much longer to lose the last few. But I am hopeful and I am willing to put in the hard work.

Take care
H

2nd time on Cohens!

Old 31-08-2008, 22:36
Never Giving Up

Hi Francesca,

It really is impossible to say as everyone is different.. I know one person who lost 11 kilos & it took them 8 weeks & another who needed to lose 8 & lost it in 4 weeks..

Some people have a theory that the taller you are the faster you lose the weight, but I dont know that for certain..

What I do know is if you follow the program 100%.. including drinking all your water etc.. you will lose it as fast as your body is comfortable with..
Old 01-09-2008, 00:40

Thanks Shell, Faithy and Almost Happy for sharing your thoughts and experiences with this! Much appreciated.

I agree 100% that slow but steady weight loss may just be what is best for my body. My big fear is that the loss will just stop entirely well before I'm at my goal weight.

On a more optimistic note, I figure that even if I lose just one kg per week from now on, I should be looking rather fine by Christmas!

Tags
lose