New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > The Home Stretch! Refeeding discussion

Notices

Old 25-03-2008, 20:42
Feeling more at home

Default continuously gaining kilos on refeed plan?

Hi
so i'm on day 9 of my 16-day-refeed plan and i weigh 1kg more than what i did when i started refeed
the scale has had an increased reading every single day (with the exception of one day)
I have read a few diaries and from what i understand, everyone usually loses a bit of weight, don't get me wrong- i don't want to lose any more weight, i just want to maintain my scale reading

when i asked my consultant about it she said that as long as i don't have >1 kg increase from the previous day, i shouldn't worry..but that doesn't stop me from feeling depro about it and wondering if it's even worth all the struggle !!!
at this rate, i'll probably weigh + 2.5kg from my goal
i have exercised every day but it appears that that's not helping oh and i have never deviated while on the plan, i have always stuck to it 110%

can anyone please shed some light on this? PLEASE
please help, i'm freaking out
Old 25-03-2008, 20:50
Part of the Furniture

Default Re: continuously gaining kilos on refeed plan?

Evave, it was my understanding that if we gained >1kg in total above our refeed starting weight we were to go back 2 days on the refeed. If you gain again then you need to repeat those days again. If after repeating 3 x and a gain each time then refeed is to be discontinued as you have finished. You can then start maintenenance. Congrats on reaching refeed.

Lauren
Old 26-03-2008, 17:11
On my way - To a new me.

I agree with Lauren that it's a total gain of 1kg from your beginning of refeed weight that means go back 2 days in the program and repeat them then go on. Not a gain of 1kg in a day.

I am repeating because I have hit the 1 kilo mark , with mahor deviations tho.

Keep at it maintenace is around the corner. I get my guidelines tomorrow

Cherry

Old 01-04-2008, 20:56
Part of the Furniture

Working out will put on muscle. Do you analyse fat % verus overall weight gain? Scales can be had for $40 at Big W.

At the emd of Coehns you body is very lean fat and muscle and will gain muscle as you exercise and increase the calories. It may be that? 1 kg is not much.

Peter

Old 01-04-2008, 21:10
Forum Grease Monkey

My NYF Diary

I'd also believed it was >1kg in a single day means go back two days, not >1kg from start of refeed.
Old 01-04-2008, 21:12
Part of the Furniture

I thought same as baloo, Peter

Old 01-04-2008, 22:08
I am here for good

Hmm, interesting debate re refeed guidelines. I am with Lonnicee and Cherry on this one, Lonnicee says "it was my understanding that if we gained >1kg in total above our refeed starting weight we were to go back 2 days on the refeed" and that is what is clearly printed in my refeed program! Peter offers good advice re checking your body fat % on scales as muscle is heavier than fat - if you visit a gym maybe they can help out with assessing fat %. Otherwise, i reckon go back 2 days, stop panic-ing (not easy i know!) and focus just on today, then tomorrow etc. Very bet wishes for your success!! Congratulations!

Old 01-04-2008, 22:12
On my way - To a new me.

G'day...

My refeed program says this...

If you suddenly gain weight:

• if it less than a kilo- ignore it it is likely to be temporary water retention.

if it is more than a kilo (whether gained in one day or you gain a little each day, once gained you have gained more than a kilo)- go back TWO DAYS on your program and repeat these days. You probably gained weight because your body was not ready for the increase. WHen you go back two days your body adjusts and you will not gain weight.

Hope this helps!

Blessya
Kannadew

Ooops got sidetracked and repeated what Pandora wrote!
Old 03-04-2008, 00:13
Feeling more at home

Thanx everyone for the replies... i decided to stick to my the guidelines that were given to me, so i just carried on with refeed and it weight has come off for no apparent reason- all the freaking out for no apparent reason...
Old 09-04-2008, 23:48
On my way - To a new me.

Just read your post.. good that the weight came off. Have checked my guidelines, and with my consultant.. the >1kg alarm is only if you gain it in a 24hr period. THEN you have to retrace your steps 2 days. Good luck and keep it up. I am on day 8 and have 8 to go.

Start at 96,5kg Nov 2007 goal 69kg end March Finished refeed by end April 2008 Restarted April 2012 @ 91.4 goal 69
Old 10-04-2008, 18:37
I am here for good

Just to keep the point CLEAR for others on or approaching refeed .... Bibabs you say :

Have checked my guidelines, and with my consultant.. the >1kg alarm is only if you gain it in a 24hr period. THEN you have to retrace your steps 2 days.

Might be the guidelines in south africa but as others in australia have said and as my refeed states - the gain 1kg rule is accumulative so e.g. if by day 10 of refeed you have gained 1.2kg = you go back 2 days, and if by day 16 of refeed you have gained 1.1kg since day one also you go back 2 days!

All very interesting and all a tad different! Also Bibabs, i think you had "bread" on day 2 or 3, and i havent seen ANY OZ programs with bread that early? Just as well we ALL get unique programs!

Old 10-04-2008, 18:50
On my way - To a new me.

I had bread on day 3, but you must realise my day 3 was I think day 6 on the basic refeed program. What we get here, is a 30 day refeed program. Each person then gets specific days to highlight, and those are the ones you follow. It would be interesting to check the actual wording on the refeed guide, I wonder if the clinics do some of their own interpretation and typing out, or whether everything is actually forwarded from Dr Cohen himself.

Start at 96,5kg Nov 2007 goal 69kg end March Finished refeed by end April 2008 Restarted April 2012 @ 91.4 goal 69
Old 10-04-2008, 18:59
On my way - To a new me.

Me again

Pandora Please confirm with your consultant again, I have just called Michelle at my clinic, and checked with her again. It definitely is a 24hr gain and NOT accumulated gain. She has checked with Dr Cohen himself, because she has had the question in the past.( She has run a COHEN clinic for the past 8 years and says she cannot think of any reason why the rules would be different in OZ. So it may be worth getting someone to check back with Dr Cohen in SA?

Old 10-04-2008, 19:06
Part of the Furniture

For me it was definiately a gain of 1kg in a DAY, triggered a 2 days retrace.

Refeed Completed 1-Apr-2007
Target to stay under 80KG.
After muscle mass gain attending gym + kendo, 85KG
Old 10-04-2008, 20:17
I am here for good

So there we have it!

In Australia, we have

MOI
Lonniecee
Cherry
Kannadew

ALL with refeeds that state " on refeed, once you accumulate over 1kg GAIN = go back 2 days! Very specific! Not 1kg in 24 hrs! Again must be an individual thing, or even an individual clinic thing! Either ay, our alarm bells must be going OFF if we are gaining to much to soon!

Old 10-04-2008, 20:34
On my way - To a new me.

I agree, about the alarm bells and all that. Especially seeing as we should all , if not lose weight, then at least remain stalble on refeed.

Interesting point about individual clinic ( promise you it is not an individual person thing) I would have assumed that everybody was bound to follow the rules set by Dr Cohen himself? Otherwise, if each clinic is allowed to follow their own ideas, one would eventually end up with a program so far divorced from the real thing, that it does not work anymore.

How was your refeed program presented to you? Like I said mine was a printout with 30days divided into the protein, fruit, veg and CHO columns. I then had to mark MY days, and follow those in sequence., Hence from 30days, I only used 16 of them.

I actually though this was a bit dicey, because basically I now have a program that anybody could use, and although it would take a lot longer than a prescribed refeed, it would essentially work, because all they would do is introduce everything a lot slower.

Old 19-05-2008, 05:28
Part of the Furniture

Location: After my nose...ocean, mountains, mostly with head in the clouds...
Default Weight gain on refeed?

I did not receive the refeed yet, but I have one important question... I have a hard time weighing myself because I work on the boat and sometimes we stay out in the morning and the scale (I got the best one possible) sometimes shows 300 g more or less ...
So, my question is...

If I gain one day 300 g - does that influences on the food measurments for that day?
What kind of gainweight or weightloss influences- makes a difference for the food that day?

I can premeasure all the food, have it frozen, have it all ready...just curious about the acuracy of the morning weighing (I heard that if you gain 2 pounds over night you have to go back to original diet, but I dont know anything else)

It would help me A LOT to know, because if 300 g up on the scale will already call for adapting the menu, I wont be able to be 100% sure, since my scale can't be reliable at 200 g accurate some mornings...

THANK YOU !!!!
Old 19-05-2008, 06:20
I am here for good

Default Re: REFEED QUESTION

Hi Maya,
If you gain more than 1kg (not sure about pounds) above your re feed starting weight you have to go back 2 days of your re feed program.
So if on day 6 of re feed you gain more than the 1 kg, you have to repeat day 4 & 5.
Hope that helps
Shell

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!
Old 19-05-2008, 08:00
Part of the Furniture

Location: After my nose...ocean, mountains, mostly with head in the clouds...

Thanks Shell, I understood that...but when I read the refeed diaries, everybody is weighing every morning and writing 200 g more, 300 g more, lost 400 grams... so I wonder if that's also the factor that influences at how much grams of which food you are allowed that day... or is it just in case you would gain 1 kg...
Just so I know I can do the refeed on the boat and dont have to stay in hotel for 2 weeks...
Thanks!
Old 19-05-2008, 08:12
I am here for good

Hi Maya,
The grams up and down are just a record of what your weight is doing.
The food that you eat on re feed is exactly what it tells you to eat, just like the program.
No changing at all.
Hope that clears it up?
Shell

Total lost 50kg!!
REACHED GOAL WEIGHT-ON MAINTENANCE!

Tags
clear , continuously , end , gain , gaining , halfway , issue , kilos , plan , question , refeed , stopping , weight